Vashon Ranger

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

malexander

Vashon Ranger

Post by malexander »

Anyone have any experience with the Vashon Ranger?
chicagorandy

Re: Vashon Ranger

Post by chicagorandy »

https://vashonaircraft.com/ranger-r7-specs.php

It has a dry 'useful' load of 445#, it carries 28 gallons of fuel = 168#, leaving 277# for pilot, passenger and luggage.... or ONE of my chubby self wearing very light clothing - LOL
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
AviatorCrafty

Post by AviatorCrafty »

chicagorandy wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:18 pm https://vashonaircraft.com/ranger-r7-specs.php

It has a dry 'useful' load of 445#, it carries 28 gallons of fuel = 168#, leaving 277# for pilot, passenger and luggage.... or ONE of my chubby self wearing very light clothing - LOL
Sounds worse than the 162
Commercial Pilot - Glider
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot

John 3:16
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

When one is built for traction, not for speed (LOL) the world of the LSA or even ultralights is a very small one indeed. I suspect it is one of the reasons so many were hoping the FAA would quickly allow LSAs flown be Sport Pilots to have a higher load limit, which does not seem likely at this point?.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Looks like they sold about 50 of them so far .. some people do find it useable.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
malexander

Post by malexander »

I'm thinking about one for instructing. I like the dirt simple O200 engine. I wouldn't have to fill it with 28 gallons of fuel, 16 would be plenty for a lesson and I'm not a really big guy myself (168 lbs). My 150 only holds 22 gallons, and it'll outlast my bladder by at least an hour. I'm going to study it pretty hard at OSH. I actually know, and have met Ken Kruger.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

malexander wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:43 pm I'm thinking about one for instructing. I like the dirt simple O200 engine. I wouldn't have to fill it with 28 gallons of fuel, 16 would be plenty for a lesson and I'm not a really big guy myself (168 lbs). My 150 only holds 22 gallons, and it'll outlast my bladder by at least an hour. I'm going to study it pretty hard at OSH. I actually know, and have met Ken Kruger.
One thing for sure, their pricing is very , very competitive when compared to wildly overpriced toys like Bristell or Tecnam ( or even my own Sting )
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
malexander

Post by malexander »

Warmi wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:57 pm
malexander wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:43 pm I'm thinking about one for instructing. I like the dirt simple O200 engine. I wouldn't have to fill it with 28 gallons of fuel, 16 would be plenty for a lesson and I'm not a really big guy myself (168 lbs). My 150 only holds 22 gallons, and it'll outlast my bladder by at least an hour. I'm going to study it pretty hard at OSH. I actually know, and have met Ken Kruger.
One thing for sure, their pricing is very , very competitive when compared to wildly overpriced toys like Bristell or Tecnam ( or even my own Sting )

That's what makes it look so attractive to me. AND, the fact it was designed/engineered by Ken Kruger and built in the USA makes it more appealing.
JimParker256

Post by JimParker256 »

FYI, one of the flight schools at Denton (In the Pattern @ KDTO) just added a Vashon Ranger to their fleet, if you want to fly down and check it out in person before OSH. Looks nice in their pictures!
Jim Parker
2007 RANS S-6ES (Rotax 912ULS)
Light Sport Repairman - Airplane - Inspection
Farmersville, TX
malexander

Post by malexander »

FYI, one of the flight schools at Denton (In the Pattern @ KDTO) just added a Vashon Ranger to their fleet, if you want to fly down and check it out in person before OSH. Looks nice in their pictures!
[/quote]

Thanks Jim:
There's actually a guy up here at Wiley Post that has one. We're going to meet up Sunday afternoon and look it over, and probably fly it some.
malexander

Post by malexander »

Well, my brother and I, and my student went to KPWA Sunday afternoon and got to look at the Ranger. That's a NICE airplane. Kathryn isn't very tall, but with some cushions that I took along (she uses them in the S6) she fit just fine and could reach the rudder pedals just fine. :D
JimParker256

Post by JimParker256 »

Yeah, I really like the looks of it, and it seems to be built really well... I just wish they had used a Rotax so it had more useful load! For me, it's a single-person airplane, like so many other "heavy" Light Sport Aircraft...
Jim Parker
Farmersville, TX
malexander

Post by malexander »

JimParker256 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:28 am Yeah, I really like the looks of it, and it seems to be built really well... I just wish they had used a Rotax so it had more useful load! For me, it's a single-person airplane, like so many other "heavy" Light Sport Aircraft...

Well, for me and a student, we can just adjust the amount of fuel we put in it. :)
JimParker256

Post by JimParker256 »

malexander wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:00 am Well, for me and a student, we can just adjust the amount of fuel we put in it. :)
LOL - It's definitely a "me" problem. At my size, my options are much more limited. But I'm working on it, big time. I'm down 82 lbs over the last 18 months or so, and I just got back from doing 14.3 miles on my bike before breakfast...
Jim Parker
Farmersville, TX
malexander

Post by malexander »

LOL - It's definitely a "me" problem. At my size, my options are much more limited. But I'm working on it, big time. I'm down 82 lbs over the last 18 months or so, and I just got back from doing 14.3 miles on my bike before breakfast...
[/quote]

Hang in there Jim. At 62 yo, I can see how easy the pounds could add up. I weighed 160 lbs when I graduated high school, I'm up to 175 now, I feel the best at 165-168. I'm right at 6' tall. I have to really watch how I eat now, because I pay very close attention to what I DON'T want to look like later on. I think it's easier to keep the weight off, than to try to take it off.