Pirep: Cessna 162 Skycatcher

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Pirep: Cessna 162 Skycatcher

Post by drseti »

I realize I'm a bit late to the party. A week ago last Monday, I finally got to fly the Skycatcher for an hour and a half, just to get the feel of it prior to giving a checkride in it. My general impression is that I would personally not choose to own one, but it's not a bad starter LSA.

Pros:

Easy to fly, controls reasonably well coordinated. The Garmin G300s are a fairly good avionics package (although, I personally prefer the Dynons). Rudder pedal adjustment is excellent - no need for moving seats. Stalls relatively docile. Stoke was surprisingly easy to get used to (I didn't expect to like it...) Rudder authority is typical of LSAs. Lots of bagagge room behind the seats (which is a mixed blessing, as it can be pretty easy to overload it). CG stays in envelope as fuel burns off. Manual flaps are easy to operate. Electric elevator trim on the stoke (but no aileron trim).

Cons:

Not a lot of useful load. The O-200D engine is HEAVY! But it keeps the CG from shifting too far aft when you carry baggage. Doors are flimsy, and if not latched properly, can do $10,000 worth of damage when they open in flight. (There are three separate latches on each door. You MUST check ALL 3 before takeoff!) Forward visibility on takeoff was marginal for me without sitting on a cushion. Castering nosewheel requires both lots of brake AND quite a bit of power to control on the ground. Interior is a bit shabby. Sets are pretty close together, and cabin is relatively narrow. No fuel gauges in the panel, just sight tubes at the wing roots.

Concerns:

Preflight procedure is a bit odd (be absolutely certain to follow the checklist!) There are 2 fuel drains in each wing, and 2 gascolators on the firewall to drain. You can push up on the ailerons to check them, but not down. You can push down on the flaps to check them, but not up! It's a bit hard to reach the control rods to check for freedom of movement. Fuel tanks are a bit small for doing a serious cross-country.

On Tuesday Jan 25th, I gave the checkride. That gave me 2.5 more hours in the plane, and both it and the applicant performed well. My overall conclusion is that this plane makes a suitable trainer, but certainly wouldn't fit my mission. But for anyone who's flown Cessnas beore, it should be a very easy transition.

FWIW, in an AvWeb review, the author said something along the lines of "the 162 is just a scaled-down 152, which is just a scaled-down 172, which is just a scaled-down 747."
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
GilligansAirport

Re: Pirep: Cessna 162 Skycatcher

Post by GilligansAirport »

Thanks for the report, Paul. I wonder how the Vashon Ranger would compare? I see comparisons being drawn, since they both have the O200 rather than the Rotax.
mctnh

Post by mctnh »

Late reply here… but being over 6’2” and with a 34” inseam, I found the plane to be cramped and narrow. I realize this would not be the case for most pilots. But, I thought I’d add my two cents for other taller pilots. I agree with other’s thoughts about the flyability of the plane.
Siddhartha

Post by Siddhartha »

Thanks for the PIREP Paul. Around 10 years ago, I was visiting a local airfield and noticed two Skycatchers asitting on the flightline at a local flight training school. When I inquired about them, I was informed that they didn't fly much because they were very limited in their crosswind handling capabilities compared to the Part 23 trainers. Soon after, they were replaced by a couple of Sport Cruisers, which seemed like they got a lot more use. I've never flown a Skycatcher, but I did some of my initial training in the C-150/C-152 in SoCal, when I'd sometimes do pattern work with my instructor on brisk fall and winter days when the crosswinds were near or at the aircraft's published limits and the flying was "sporty". So, if the Skycatcher can't even handle conditions that a C-150/C-152 can, that would be too limiting for me. Any Skycatcher sticks in this forum who have also flown the C-150/C-152 and can comment on their relative handling characteristics, especially in crosswinds and gusty/turbulent conditions?
StressRelief

Post by StressRelief »

I'm very interested in this thread! As someone training in a 150, and looking to possibly buy a 162, I too would like to hear from "Any Skycatcher sticks in this forum who have also flown the C-150..." as Siddhartha put it. :D
loganfliesplanes

Post by loganfliesplanes »

I actually love the little 162. Used to own one myself. Then sold it and enjoyed the 3,000 mile flight to bring it to the buyer so much that I decided to offer my time for free for anyone who needs a Cessna 162 Skycatcher ferried! See this page I just put up: www.162Pilot.com

Also, the story about my 3,000 mile adventure from Miami to Seattle in the Skycatcher is here: www.CessnaTrip.com