Has anyone here flown a Evektor Sport Star?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Daidalos

Has anyone here flown a Evektor Sport Star?

Post by Daidalos »

Interesting to hear others experience with the SportStar. Glad to hear it wasn’t just me. I stepped on the instructors left rudder once. I also experienced the extremely sensitive nose wheel steering. This was both in an SL and a Plus models.

I’ve heard that it was related to the short coupling at the nose wheel and that was changed in later models. I was told there is a modification kit for that as well but haven’t seen it on their website.

I’ve switched to Tecnams and like them much better although they don’t match the visibility/view from a SportStar. I need to look around to find a SportStar Max or older model with the mods to try. I haven’t been in a SportStar in over a year.
Marcus - WA2DCI
PP ASEL Instrument

Daidalos Greek: Δαίδαλος
Remember don't fly too close to the Sun.
drseti

Re: Has anyone here flown a Evektor Sport Star?

Post by drseti »

Daidalos wrote: I’ve heard that it was related to the short coupling at the nose wheel and that was changed in later models. I was told there is a modification kit for that as well but haven’t seen it on their website.
Marcus, this is covered in Evektor service bulletin SportStar 009b. You can download a copy from http://www.evektor.com/pdf/support/bull ... 09b_EN.pdf. There's also a detailed set of installation instructions for the mod, at http://www.evektor.com/pdf/support/bull ... uction.pdf.
Daidalos wrote:I’ve switched to Tecnams and like them much better although they don’t match the visibility/view from a SportStar.
I seriously considered the Tecnam Sierra myself, before buying the SportStar. It's a great airplane (but the price on my SportStar was too good to pass up).
Daidalos wrote: I need to look around to find a SportStar Max or older model with the mods to try. I haven’t been in a SportStar in over a year.
My mods should be done shortly, and I'll have my SportStar on the flight line at Lock Haven PA in due course. Come out and fly with me!

73, Paul N6TX
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
AcuWings

Post by AcuWings »

We are one of the first schools in Seattle area to operate the SportStar Plus. We first had one on leaseback then switched to a owned one. The aircraft has its characteristics but as a flight school aircraft it's very economical, easy to operate and easy to fly.
Everyone mentioned the interesting aspects of the aircraft.
I am about to sell mine to overseas and pick up another used one with very low time on it.

This airplane has turned a lot of heads and it has been good to us.

Baha Acuner
www.AcuWings.com
Light Sport Training in Seattle Area
www.AcuWings.com
designrs

Post by designrs »

From recent post at [email protected]
(author contact there as well)

Jiri Michalik, the Service Manager at Evektor, Service Bulletins. Regarding 013b, he writes:

"13b - Nobody has installed the pilo/copilot rudder pedal barrier yet. But
the pedal barrier exists and its price is 50.00EUR."

It appears that the first person making this particular mod is ordering the kit.

No word yet on the other two Service Bulletins (gross wt upgrade and nosewheel steering sensitivity).
pequeajim

Re: Flying the Evektor Sportstar

Post by pequeajim »

oldsportpilot wrote:I have about 55 hours in Sportstars, both the model with the fuel in the fuselage, and the newer "plus" model with the fuel in the wings and an extra 55 lbs of useful load.

The Sporstar has no real vices. It accelerates fast on takeoff, and requires attention to right rudder to keep it on the centerline. A climbing left turn needs some right rudder to keep the ball centered. Landings are straightforward, although be careful about the advice in the POH to use 48 kts on final with a 50 degree flap setting. In this configuration the Sportstar glides about like a grand piano and you must be vigilant to avoid getting into a very rapid rate of descent. I found it easier to use 55 kts and 30 degrees flap. I know of two flight schools that recommend 55 kts on final as a routine.

Another thing to watch for is braking after touchdown. The wheels are close together, and it is easy to skitter about the runway with uncautious braking. On final, add to your mental checklist the phrase "feet off the brakes".

Crosswind landings are easy in the Sportstar because visibility in the flare is so good. I prefer staying in a wings-level crab on final and establishing the slip to align with the runway only at the last second. The winds a few feet off the ground, in my experience, are usually (not always) rather different from those a few hundred feet up. YMMV.

The Sportstar is a great airplane. Its reactions to control inputs are predictable and rapid, and it is great fun to fly. Enjoy!

PS: I am not a Sportstar dealer or CFI.
I couldn't have said it any better. I have about 20 hours in the ST+, and find it to be a very easy airplane to fly.