Didn't make my first flight tonight.

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

artp

Re: CTSW

Post by artp »

Super Cub wrote:Art,
If you wanted to have warranty work done by another dealer, would FD cover the costs?
I assume they would, but Lancaster is a 2 hour drive and the next closest dealer is 6+ hours away; it is not a reasonable alternative. One of the reasons I selected Flight Design was the relative convenience of their dealers so as far as I am concerned if my current dealer is not capable of providing the service I require, the problem is with Flight Design.
Super Cub

Post by Super Cub »

Art,
FD and the dealer got their money when you paid for your plane.With $130,000 on the line, I would fly it to Florida if I had to to get the proper service!
artp

Post by artp »

Super Cub wrote:FD and the dealer got their money when you paid for your plane.With $130,000 on the line, I would fly it to Florida if I had to to get the proper service!
Since the Rotax requires an oil change every 25 hours I would be spending all of my time flying to Florida and back just in time for the next trip to Florida. If I can't trust my dealer I am more likely to sell the plane and get something else.
ka7eej

Post by ka7eej »

artp wrote:
Since the Rotax requires an oil change every 25 hours I would be spending all of my time flying to Florida and back just in time for the next trip to Florida. If I can't trust my dealer I am more likely to sell the plane and get something else.
Is this a correct statement? I know that oil changes are more often when you use 100 LL instead of the recommended 91 octane auto gas. I thought it was more like 50 not 25...
Owner of N3081X (Cover Girl) A Beautiful Allegro 2000 as seen on the cover and inside of several magazines!!
artp

Post by artp »

ka7eej wrote:
artp wrote:
Is this a correct statement? I know that oil changes are more often when you use 100 LL instead of the recommended 91 octane auto gas. I thought it was more like 50 not 25...
50 is with auto gas, 25 for 100LL, according to the Rotax instruction letter (SI-912-016).
Roger

Oil Change

Post by Roger »

I beleive (BUT CHECK WITH YOUR DEALER) ROTAX recomends 25hours if using 100LL and 50 hours if using Mogas.

I use Mogas but I change mine every 25 hours. 3 quarts and a filter doesn't add up to much and I like myself and my engine so I'm nice to both of us for a fairly small amount of change!!!

Roger H
artp

Post by artp »

I called my service center to set up an appointment. I called on the February 7 and the earliest appoint is February 21. If the weather is bad that day I will have to wait another 2 weeks for the next appointment.

The service manager indicated that the problems with CHT and oil temperature will be fixed by putting tape over the oil cooler. I told him I had a oil thermostat he told me that they won’t shut off the flow to the cooler until the oil reaches 170 degrees (didn’t make sense to me). I told him the temperature of the oil was over 170 on the ground but it dropped when I started flying. He said the FD thermostat doesn’t and there is nothing he can do about it.

This is the same service center that told me the radio will on work with the Dave Clark headphones and I can’t use my Lightspeed ANR.

I am sure glad I have a warranty so I don’t have to pay for them to tell me they can’t fix the plane.
artp

Post by artp »

After waiting for 2 months for the simultaneous occurrence of an available appointment and flyable weather, I finally got the plane serviced. When I made my original appointment I told them my #2 CHT didn’t work, my landing light didn’t work, my old temperature didn’t get to 160 in flight (much less above 212 to boil of any accumulated water), and I wanted an oil change.

The cabin heat was fixed when the put the lower cowl on properly (the last time the put it on a rubber flap blocked the heater intake). The landing light couldn’t be fixed because they needed a part. The CHT couldn’t be fixed because they needed a part. They said the oil temperature was too low because the thermostat does not work and can’t be fixed (they said I wasted the $509 I paid Flight Design to install it) and they also charged me $21.25 to put a strip of tape on the radiator because the thermostat doesn’t work. They changed my oil and filter.

As I said the cabin heater now works but the oil temperature still does not get to 160. I called the service manager and was told I should buy aluminum tape and gradually apply more tape until I get to the proper temperature. Of course when the weather warms up I will have to start removing it. Any north/south flights might be a problem because of the temperature variation during the flight.

It has been 5 months since I got the plane and it is still not capable of night flight. I did figure how to disable the engine alarms so at least the plane is flyable. It might not be a bad plane with better availability of parts and service but I am starting to think Cessna with really does have a large network of authorized service centers and just about every airport with any service can work on them.
Cub flyer

parts

Post by Cub flyer »

Hey Art.

Do you have the Rotax FlyDat system. Seems a probe should be a stocked item if that's what it needs.

What kind of part should the landing light need? switch, wire, bulb?

It might have a control box and if it does we have yet another example of way more complicated than it needs to be for a single light.

If it is a part beyond these I can see why a small shop would not stock them but since all black boxes fail and they are a dealer/ assembler then they should have a more complete stock.

They can't afford a complete parts airplane so some things will be out of stock. Most car dealers are the same way.

In todays world you should be able to get the part on the east coast within 48 hours from the USA FD importer who should have a complete stock of everything except major airframe components such as wings, fuselages.

Many airplanes have a blockoff plate over the oil cooler. All the piper cherokee series, Cessna 172 series, Tripacers, Pacers to name a few. They are not as long a range as the CT it is not too big a deal to remove the plate at the first fuel stop going to FL.

I would keep it taped for flying local and if you are starting a trip south remove all the tape before leaving.

Low oil temp at the beginning of the trip will be offset by the total flying time to burn off moisture. Not sure where the 912 oil temp probe is but I am sure the oil gets hotter than that in the bearings and cylinder walls. Moisture will come out there and go out the breather.

Watch for white goop on the oil dipstick and inside the oil cap. That is a sign of moisture in normal oil. Not sure if it is for the Rotax gear oil.

Use a good quality aluminum tape from the hardware store. No duct tape.

I have a set of fabric underwear that I clip over the cub oil tank and intake tubes during winter. It could stay on all summer to help keep it warm but gets too oily.
"Perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add but when there is no longer anything to take away." Antoine de Saint Exupery
artp

Re: parts

Post by artp »

Cub flyer wrote:Hey Art.

Do you have the Rotax FlyDat system. Seems a probe should be a stocked item if that's what it needs.
It has the Dynon 120 for engine monitoring. I don't know the prob type but they say they don't have it and will have to order it.

What kind of part should the landing light need? switch, wire, bulb?
The landing light socket itself is bad. They don't stock it and it has to be ordered.
If it is a part beyond these I can see why a small shop would not stock them but since all black boxes fail and they are a dealer/ assembler then they should have a more complete stock.
It is the only authorized FD service center for hundreds of miles. Not only is it a small shop, but they also sell and service Evektor, and are an authorized service center for Cirrus and Diamond. The day I was in for service the entire hangar was filled up with Cirrus planes (5) being worked on with others parked outside waiting for service.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

art,

i fly north / south a lot and keep the tape on all winter, ( still on now ) perhas so cal isn't as hot as fl in the winter. you shouldn't have an issue going south. if it is too hot to climb out with the tape on you will know it before you get to the other end of the runway.
artp

Post by artp »

CharlieTango wrote:art,

i fly north / south a lot and keep the tape on all winter, ( still on now ) perhas so cal isn't as hot as fl in the winter. you shouldn't have an issue going south. if it is too hot to climb out with the tape on you will know it before you get to the other end of the runway.
I am still annoyed paying $509 for a thermostat that doesn't work, especially since it availability was one of the reasons for going with a CT rather than another plane that had to be taped.
rfane

Post by rfane »

artp wrote:I am still annoyed paying $509 for a thermostat that doesn't work, especially since it availability was one of the reasons for going with a CT rather than another plane that had to be taped.
Art, I would be annoyed too. A roll of aluminum tape costs about $6 at Home Depot. After 15 months, I still have at least 1/2 a roll left, and that's after letting CharlieTango use enough to discover that you can tell by the end of the runway when you have used too much. :-) Of course Tonopah, NV has a pretty good sized runway, and 30+ mph winds down it that day.
Roger Fane
Former owner of a 2006 Flight Design CTsw
Roger

Tape formula

Post by Roger »

Here's my CT tape formula...one strip for summer, two for spring/fall and three for winter cold! Thermostat I purchased to install is on the desk - thanks Art, I'll keep it there and not incur the costs!

Roger H :lol:
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

i've wanted an oil thermostat for 2 years now.

there have been enough reports from around the world to know that these oil thermostats don't work, or often don't work. question is why.

a thermostat isn't rocket science