LSA with the highest Useful Load?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

cavscout96

Post by cavscout96 »

am looking for a aircraft with a high useful load because I am a big guy (or as I like to call it, Chicago sized ) .... I'm looking at 450 lbs (550 for me!) for pilot and passenger + fuel. I can do both easily in the bushcaddy and the highlander as long as the W & B works out.
I hear ya! between my father and I we tip the scales at 450 total without fuel or baggage! I'm looking for 550+ useful load so I can get 2.5 hours of fuel, reserve and a little "stuff."
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

corrected
Last edited by Cub flyer on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

The X air Hanuman has the useful load you are looking for. Don't confuse this with the X air standard or F. Those are totally different airplanes.

Real empty weight is less than 700 lbs. Gross is 1320.

Performance is mild. cruise around 85 mph.

I had a rough time with the importer and distributors over claimed numbers and quality but they have made many changes since my "old airplane" purchased spring of 06. Don't use Joe Carswell or anything with Bill Marigilini.

Typical bigger tail, better gear, better wiring, smoother controls, truthful figures for empty weight, gross weight, fuel burn, cruise speed, climb numbers, that seems to be happening with a lot of the LSA market.

LSA theme for 08 will be getting morals. They have to because there are now airplanes out in the field and people talk.

The X air Hanuman new kits and SLSA seem to be a lot better. Not perfect an but ok easy to fly airplane, easy to get into the seats with a big cabin. easy to maintain and repair.

Price for the SLSA is advertised around $47,000 with a Jabiru and some panel equipment. Kit can be built for under 30K.

I flew some really big guys in mine with no problem except the seat belts needed to be longer.

I liked the structure a lot better than the Skyranger.

Flew it over 100 hours on floats and wheels before selling. It is still flying in NC. I kept the floats if anyone is interested for another LSA. The X air needs a 912S for practical float flying.

Had fun with it.

http://www.lightsportairplane.com/xair-h.htm for kits

http://www.x-airlsa.com/Site/Welcome.html for SLSA
cavscout96

Post by cavscout96 »

Cub,

saw that on Dan Johnson's site over the weekend. Definitely something I'd consider.

My plan is to go LSA, but with an A/C that I can also use to complete my private training at a later date.

Not interested in blazing speed at this point, more on entry cost and operating cost. Will likely sell and trade-up after a few years and completion of private ticket.

Thoughts?

also.... is there anything you haven't flown!?!?!?!?
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

Haven't flown a P-51 Yet... There was this T-6 one time though.

I think there will be some real deals on used SLSA coming up.

Have you done any flying before? If you can get to NE PA ever stop in and I'll show you around the different certified standard category types and what to look for. Sit in a few and try them on.

How much are you looking to spend?

Just like a used car salesman.

I can put you in this baby for just under $$$$.
cavscout96

Post by cavscout96 »

Cub,

was just about ready to solo when Uncle Sam shipped me to Iraq.

now back and two babies (in the last 14 mos.) and I'm ready to get back into training.

all my time is in a 172, but I'm trying to convince a friend that a properly equipped LSA is the way to go for initial training (vs. $100+ per hour on a 172). the idea being that we'd split the cost on an SLSA, get our training through private and upgrade later to something bigger and faster. eventually thinking 206 or Cherokee six since the mission profile will sometimes include me, wife and two little ones with an occasional grandma or grandpa.

NE PA is a little bit of a hike, but I might just take you up on that. As far as budget, I'm REALLY liking that X-air price. 100K for a two-seater REALLY puts me off. I don't really need 100kts and glass panels for what I'm looking to do (initially anyway.) I do like what I've seen of the G3 however.

any idea the fuel burn on tht Jab2200?

Thanks!

Bill
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

Experience tells me you should go for a 4 place. There will be two kids in a few months wanting to go for rides. if you only have a two place who will watch one while the other rides? I've had the same problem before.

$35,000 will buy a pretty good VFR Stinson 108, Continental powered 172, Piper Tripacer or Cherokee 140.

Fuel burn on all these is 9 gph of auto gas at high cruise. the cheap stuff.

The Rotax and Jabiru burn 5+ gph at high cruise power settings and need 93 octane.

compare costs

Maintenance will be the same if you can find a mechanic willing to allow owner assist annuals. Legally you can do a lot to your own airplane as a private pilot / owner that Sport pilots cannot. Including making your own airframe parts.

All the above airplanes cruise about 95-100 knots. Can fly at night, 4 seats. No altitude restriction, Any airspace.

Payments at 15 years on $35,000 should be around $307 per month.

Insurance will be the same or less than the SLSA.

Parts are not hard to find. STC's and upgrades available. Cabin size is ok. All fly well.

I'd consider a hangar a must for any airplane. Simple shade hangar is fine. Cost for that is the same no matter what single you fly.

Later on you can buy a Piper Apache with same performance, fuel burn and payload as a Cessna 206/ Cherokee 6 for 1/3 the cost. Maintenance and insurance is more but be creative.
cregis

LSA that was built for 835 LBS payload

Post by cregis »

Hey guys, there is an LSA that was built for 835 LBS payload.
check our site at www.ParadiseAircraft.us

Cregis
cregis

LSA that was built for 835 LBS payload

Post by cregis »

Hey guys, there is a LSA that was built for 835 LBS payload.
For more info visit www.ParadiseAircraft.us

Cregis
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

Nice looking airplane but I have to wonder, is that a sport pilot legal weight?

Somehow I am doubtful the empty weight of that airplane is 485 lbs. to get that useful load from the sport pilot limit of 1320 lbs. The structure looks like it would handle it.

What is the empty weight?

To show how we have progressed

The 1949 Piper Clipper had a Lycoming
O-235 of 115 hp, Kind of a grown up PA-17 Vagabond.

4 seats, full electric and an empty weight of
850 lbs

Gross weight of 1650 lbs for a useful load of 800 lbs and burned
6.5 gallons per hour

Take the back seat out and you would equal the above airplanes useful load.

36 gallons fuel and 147 sq ft of wing. Cruised 97 knots at gross

All in 1949 with a heavy "old" 2400 hour TBO lycoming 235 cubic inch and steel tube frame. That engine also runs on low octane auto fuel just fine. has no fuel pumps, single carb, direct drive, metal prop, and a good heater.

When you add up the component weights what Piper did was pretty impressive. And they are still flying today with most parts available for engine and airplane.

If only they would raise the gross weight limit to 1650....
"Perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add but when there is no longer anything to take away." Antoine de Saint Exupery
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

I see. In the Paradise website there is a link to a Dan Johnson article and it says it is approved to 1650 lbs in Brazil.

To get to that weight in USA you would have to build it as a 51% approved kit.

SLSA and ELSA are limited to 1320 lbs.
Hydroguy2

Post by Hydroguy2 »

Cub flyer wrote:Nice looking airplane but I have to wonder, is that a sport pilot legal weight? ......What is the empty weight?.....
Here's the specs. Looks like 815#, so with full fuel, there's only 350# for pilot, pax and golfclubs. :(

PERFORMANCE METRIC US
Takeoff distance 85 m 280 feet
Takeoff over 50 ft obstacle 155 m 511 feet
Rate of climb 4.3 m/s 800 fpm
Stall speed full flaps 60 km/h 38 mph
Stall speed w/o flaps 64 km/h 40 mph
Cruise speed (75%) true airspeed 184 km/h 120 mph
Never exceed speed (Vne) 230 km/h 144 mph

SPECIFICATION METRIC US
Length 6.15 m 20.30 feet
Wing span 9.00 m 29.70 feet
Wing area 12.59 m² 136 ft²
Wing loading 39.71 Kg/m² 8.13 lb/ft²
Fuel (useful) 100 l 25 Gal
Range (65% power - no reserve) 1.023 km 635 m
Endurance (no reserve) 5.56 hr 5.56 hr
Empty Weight 370 Kg 815 lb
Payload 230 Kg 505 lb
Max. takeoff weight - MTOW 600 Kg 1,320 lb
Cabin width 1.10 m 43.3 in
Baggage area 0.47 m³ 30,0 ft³

ROTAX 912 ULS - Warp Drive 3 bladed ground adjustable propeller
It just one Dam job after another

Brian
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

Sorry I gave the wrong specs on the X air. Just checked their website

The new SLSA gross is 1234 lbs and 592 lb useful load.

I believe the kits are the same
David

I thought I would share my stats for my plane

Post by David »

It has been a while since i posted. Here are the stats for my Sport Hornet N25DV, with a Rotax 912 great performance and wide cabin due to the tandem configuration.

> Total wt 1320
> Dry wt. -675
> usable. 645
> 18 gal fuel -108
> ---------- ------
> Payload. 537

*I have full glass and avionics included in the dry wt.

This works great for me but maybe not for others, just sharing.
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

Hi David.

Your just down the road from 76N.

Want to trade some cub time for a sport hornet ride?

Come up and see us. Just north west of AVP along the river