KAPPA ride

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Cub flyer

KAPPA ride

Post by Cub flyer »

Got a ride in a Kappa the other day. Interesting.

1. Construction, landing gear design
2. long tail
3. ease of maintenance
4. options list
5. cabin room
6. control layout
7. stability. Positive on all axis.
8. steerable nose gear
9. elevator and rudder feel in flight
10. seat comfort
11. adjustable rudder pedals
12. wide range of seat adjustments
13. Very bright LED lighting. Easy to see Nav lights during daylight
14. quality of machining and construction. conventional materials.
15. logical placement of switches. All up for takeoff.
16. firewall mounted engine shock mounts. 912S installation was much smoother than in the CT Engine ran flawlessly and quiet.

dislikes
1. very large canopy opening in wind could be a problem.
2. no both selection on fuel tanks
3. heavy right rudder needed on takeoff and climb. For a trainer I would consider the 80 hp to keep the P factor down
4. Aileron forces a little heavy.
5.** wing drop during stall**
6. aluminum firewall with blanket on engine side. Would prefer stainless or galvanized steel.
7. view over the nose during slow flight flaps down is the same as during cruise. Demo pilot told me some European customers have a lock preventing students from using full flaps. AOA or stall warning should be standard. Flaps are so large a flap compensator would probably be needed to keep any stall warning accurate.
8. unusual hardware in some areas. Metric aircraft hardware has not made it into common US supply.

One of my cub LSA renters was checking out in another Kappa and told me he accidentally got into a spin the other day practicing stalls with an instructor.

Instructor said during stalls it drops a wing but he is never sure which one it will be. The cub is so gentle he was not ready for the Kappa to unhook suddenly.

ALL LSA airplanes should have a gentle stall !

I did not have the chance to stall the airplane during my ride but the importer said he will bring another one over for us to play with for a few hours. Then I will be able to give it a complete testing.

Seems like some stall strips would be a simple lightweight fix.

It was a fun airplane to fly and easy to flare and land. Some additional changes and I would consider buying one.

Typical imported LSA they have made a lot of changes since bringing the first ones into the USA and are now getting to be what I would consider an acceptable airplane.
"Perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add but when there is no longer anything to take away." Antoine de Saint Exupery
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

I forgot. Some other things I liked are the

Stall speed 38 mph

Redline speed 162 mph

Useful load. 558 lbs as tested.
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

I just checked the maneuvering speed was a low 88 mph.

Not sure why. I suspect the European parameters to define maneuvering speed is different than in the US.

Anyone know for sure?
vwvectors

Post by vwvectors »

Cub Flyer do they plan on a gross weight increase to 1320 ? Do they plan on any improvments or upgrades in the near future ?

We look forward to a FULL & detailed pirep . :~)
Opinions are like armpits everybody has a couple & they usually stink .