Instructing in old planes

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

tadel001

Post by tadel001 »

I forget the name of the company off the top of my head. The system has been set up but the first shipment of parts is actually somewhere near the atlantic coast or customs. Once the shipment arrives at the warehouse, gets inventoried and listed, I am sure the dealership network will let its customers know.
CharlieTango

Re: Tecnam Parts

Post by CharlieTango »

slsaowner wrote:... I have yet to find another SLSA that can accommodate the full suite of avionics I feel I need to operate at the "class C" airport where I'm based ...
we manage to fit a few bells and whistles in our ctsw's 8)

tadel001

Post by tadel001 »

This is a nice panel....But I always wondered why anyone would put a 430 in a sport plane unless it is IFR. The 496 is a much better tool, a lot cheaper, and battery backed up. We put them in the Tecnams for the IFR planes and for the IFR trainers...I use a 530 in the 182RG but always take the 496 because it is easier to use, has more information and plays music!
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

my panel is the upper photo,

the downside to a panel mounted 496 is the screen is so small.

i use mine for entertainment, weather, and backup gps and backup flight instruments
slsaowner

GPS/COM

Post by slsaowner »

tadel001 wrote: I always wondered why anyone would put a 430 in a sport plane unless it is IFR.
Operation at a busy "Class C" airport, mixing it up with commercial jets and F-16s, seems a lot like operating IFR. I don't feel comfortable not having two sources of NAV info as well as a second COMM radio. I have both a 420 and an SL-30, and I was really glad I had that 2nd COMM capability when the SL-30 started exhibiting some kind of "infant mortality" problem. It's kind of reassuring, too, knowing that in an emergency I could shoot an ILS or VOR approach. Given a choice, I'd much rather have the 2nd COMM than a fancy GPS! The 420 is quite adequate for my needs.
tadel001

Post by tadel001 »

Slsaowner...I think that is a good response. You end up paying about $1,500 more for a 430 as opposed to a second SL30 and 496 but you do get an IFR certified GPS.

I think the screen on the 496 is bigger than the 430.