ICON SLSA

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

pilotjohn

ICON SLSA

Post by pilotjohn »

http://www.iconaircraft.com/

If it turns out as good as it looks in the photos, it will be nice.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

This is the innovation that LSA was supposed to bring to aviation. At AirVenture it will certainly cause a lot of talk and help raise the bar.
Dano

Too Heavy?

Post by Dano »

It looks to me like it will be too heavy. Useful load of 430-530 lbs does not leave much room for gas.
owenstrawn

Post by owenstrawn »

What specifically do you think is innovative about it?
DPBOHCPA

Icon

Post by DPBOHCPA »

What do you suppose the insurance on *that* will be??

Let's see, a $140,000 (without options) amphibian flown by a sport pilot with 35 hours total time....

OUCH. :cry:
Thanks!

Doug

"The only thing cars are good for is to get you to where they keep the airplanes!"
DKarnage

Post by DKarnage »

suppose you have to replace one of dem thar fancy gauges...better hope your still in warranty
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Life is a test, therefore avoid looking foolish and fear uncertainty, avoid new experiences and narrow your repertoire. That is a fixed mindset.

Life is a journey of learning, therefore embrace uncertainty, seek new experiences and broaden your repertoire. That is a growth mindset.

I, for one, believe life is a journey and I enjoy seeing others come up with new ideas. I do not have to accept new ideas, but at least I can learn from them and my experiences will be broadened.

The folks at Icon have come up with a lot of new innovations. For example, did you notice the Delta Fin on the tail of the fuselage? The Delta Fin and tail handle allows safe manual positioning of the airplane, serves as a deep-stall prevention device, and is also a skid plate to prevent tail strikes. How many of us have leaned on the tail of the fuselage of our Cessna 152 or 172 to move it around? Now, somebody has given us a handle to hold onto and move the airplane; and, it serves two other functions at the same time. A simple but effective improvement.

How many of you remember the Ford Model T with it's flat wooden instrument panel - shoot, even some of today's hot rods have the same flat panel. Now, go out to your garage and look at the panel on your pickup. Ooops, the instrument panel is probably not very flat. Finally, an aircraft manufacturer has the gumption to try a different panel. It looks like they have used standard gauges and just arranged them differently. Do I like it? I don't know yet. I am hoping the Icon will be at the AOPA Expo in San Jose in November so I can put my butt in the cockpit and I can take a look for myself. At least I admire Icon for trying to improve on the typical steam or glass flat panel.

Cessna, Piper and Cirrus all are innovators as aircraft manufacturers. And, each of them have improved their aircraft with modifications and new models. I get the feeling that Icon may be the new innovator on the block and their product will continue to improve with time. Certainly time will tell. In the meantime, I am enjoying the learning journey.
DKarnage

Post by DKarnage »

They had the first flight on July 9th. You can see the video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px_UjBJiFd8