Ordering 701 tail kit

Are you building/buying/flying an Experimental Amateur-Built (E-AB) or Experimental Light Sport (E-LSA) aircraft? Converting an S-LSA to E-LSA? Changing or adding equipment, or otherwise modifying an S-LSA? Need help with Letters of Authorization? Or maybe designing your own aircraft? This forum is the place to discuss All Things Experimental.

Moderator: drseti

langj

Ordering 701 tail kit

Post by langj »

I am going to quality sport planes zenith fly in on May 3rd in Cloverdale, California. I am going to get a demo in a ch-701 and if all goes good order the tail kit to finally start my build. I can't wait.
FastEddieB

Re: Ordering 701 tail kit

Post by FastEddieB »

Like Lou Reed (RIP) sang, albeit in a very different context...

...sounds like the beginning of a great adventure!

Good luck and I'm sure many here would love to follow* your adventure vicariously.

* When I typed "follow", my iPad wanted to autofill "follies". I hope that's not a portent! :D
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

FastEddieB wrote:* When I typed "follow", my iPad wanted to autofill "follies".
Whenever I type "follow," my iPad tries to take me to Facebook. :wink:

Great about the Zenith! The 701 is an incredible STOL aircraft. Should be fun to build, and fly.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
AZLEEJAY

Post by AZLEEJAY »

I'm looking forward to your pireps as I'm also thinking about that as my first build.
In the meantime I'm headed to Aurora Or tomorrow to fly my SLSA RV12 home to Phoenix :D
David

Post by David »

AZLEEJAY wrote:I'm looking forward to your pireps as I'm also thinking about that as my first build.
In the meantime I'm headed to Aurora Or tomorrow to fly my SLSA RV12 home to Phoenix :D
Have a safe and enjoyable flight with the 12. Look forward to your trip pirep

The 701 is great plane, I have two friends building them now and they should fly soon.
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
langj

Post by langj »

Thanks for joining in on my excitement. Yes, I will be posting my adventure here and most likely seeking help on here and elsewhere when I get frustrated. I will let everyone know how my May 3rd visit to QSP goes. Its going to be a tough few weeks to wait. They said it will take 6 to 8 weeks after I put in the order. I imagine thats going to be even worse of a wait.
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

Just out of curiousity, why did you decide on 701 and not 750? They are both 2-seaters and seem rather similar, except that 701 is sized for the same 500 kg class that original Sonex occupies. Is there a significant price difference between kits? What engine do you plan to use (I presume not a 912ULS, or else you'd have selected CH-750).
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

"The 701 is an incredible STOL aircraft. Should be fun to build, and fly."

All true, I'm sure. But based on what I've seen as 701 builders/owners begin to actually use their aircraft, I would encourage you to carefully consider the limitations on speed that this STOL a/c forces you to accept. One fellow in our local EAA chapter did a great build but always found it hard to participate in flying events because it took him so long to get to the destinations. Compare that with e.g. Rich's posts here as he flies all around central California and the Sierras in his Sting. You don't mention where in CA you will be based. If it's in one of more densely populated regions, you may be forced into flying several hours - out and back - before your 'recreational flying' begins. If you have access to someone's small backyard airstrip and live out in the country, then the 701's limitations will be a lot less burdensome.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
langj

Post by langj »

I chose the 701 for multiple reasons. First the smaller size will help in storage. I plan to add the folding wing option and it will be kept in my garage for most of the winter. Second the price difference while not extreme it fits my price range more then the 750. I currently rent a 750 and don't really need the extra space. I am not tall only 5' 6" and 150lbs so size wise I fit well in a 701. I live in Minden, Nevada just south of Carson City. With lots of BLM land to land on and camp. I am not really in to rushing to my destination. I enjoy the incredible visibility you get with the 701/750. I do plan on using a Rotax 912 which is highly recommended by zenith and works incredibly well in the CH701. Much better then the O-200 in the ch-750 I fly. Which tends to be a tad heavy for the aircraft and tends to overheat in the summers here. After spending lots of time studying all the aircraft with folding wings, I just kept coming back to zenith. I have experience with their aircraft, all aluminum construction, good price, incredible vissiability, and I like the ugliness of the plane. It was then between the ch750 and ch701 which even though I have experience in a 750 I feel the 701 fits my needs more and the 750 was just more then I needed. I am going to get a demo in a 701 on May 3rd before putting cash down to start my build just to be sure.

Post done on my iPhone so please excuse mistakes.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

langj wrote: . . . "I am going to get a demo in a 701 on May 3rd before putting cash down to start my build just to be sure." . . .
Following your demo flight in the 701 . . . would appreciate it, if you would share a pilot report with us and give us your final thoughts on the aircraft.

Thank you in advance.

Bill . . . :)
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

langj wrote:... and I like the ugliness of the plane. ...
This first made me laugh, but it is a VERY important thing, too. I'm also looking forward to your pireps.
- Bruce
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

langj, we used to visit friends in Minden occasionally. That strikes me as a great place to base a 701.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
langj

Post by langj »

Okay, so I went to the Zenith fly-in at Quality Sport Planes in Cloverdale, California last Saturday. There was probably about 7 CH-701's, 2 CH-750's, 1 CH-801, and 3 CH-601/650's. I was actually really surprised by the turn out. They had the eagle program there giving rides to kids and lots of adults getting rides in QSP's 750. I had arranged ahead of time with Doug Dugger of QSP to get a demo ride in a CH-701 as I wanted to see the differences between it and the CH750 rental that I normally fly. I promised I would let you all know how that went. First up visually the two planes look really similar the easiest way to tell them apart is the lack of an additional window on the sides of the plane just behind the door. The inside of the plane is a little smaller. There is no center console and the rear storage is also smaller. However, the rear storage was still plenty enough. The guys plane that I flew in came in from out of town was able to fit small luggage along with other crap he had back there. He emptied it before we went on the flight. As for the seating it was comfortable with the same great visibility. Doug may be short but he is not a very skinny guy by any means(no offense just explaining it was two grown adults in the plane). With that we both fit into the plane fine and I did not feel squished at all. This plane was equipped with bubble doors just like the 750 I fly. We got all settled into the plane and taxied to the runway. The winds were about 10 to 15 knots, one runway so you did have a good cross wind from the west, which was a little higher then I am really comfortable with I was glad Doug was going to do the take off and landings I would get to fly pretty much the rest of the flight. He entered runway and advanced the throttle to full. It shot of the runway in less time then I could blink and was climbing at an incredible angle of attack more so then I have ever experienced even in the 750 (yes I was scared). But the plane just kept climbing like it was nothing. He leveled off just shy of 2000 ft and handed control to me. First thing I noticed was it was way more sensitive then the 750. Very light and small rudder needed and was much more sensitive to rudder input. Much like the 601 I learned on. However, it did need rudder input unlike the 601 which you can get lazy and never use rudder. The stick also was more sensitive then the 750, I found it was better to fly with just your fingers rather then to grip the stick. The area was beautiful and I enjoyed flying around. Doug had me do a power on stall, which I attempted and never hit the stall point. He offered to take back control to demonstrate the power on stall for me. He put the plane 100% vertical like a rocket taking off and he still was not fully stalled we were still showing that we were climbing. It was incredible after awhile in that extreme attitude the plane finally stalled with a light dip of the wing to the left and we easily recovered. She stalled at what looked like around 30 knots. My jaw was on the floor I never experienced anything like that. I took back the controls and flew her along a river until we came close to the airport and Doug landed the plane. We seemed to use the same distance for landing as I am used to for the 750. The take off was much quicker then the 750. This plane was equipped with a Rotax 912 100hp and four fuel tanks in the wings. Overall, I was extremely impressed with how the plane handled. I went in thinking it would fly the same as the 750 but just be a bit smaller. It is a bit smaller which works better for me, but it does out perform a 750 with an o200 in it. When we landed I knew my decision was made. So, 10 minutes after my flight I was sitting in the office making my order for the tail kit, tool kit, plans, and electric trim. I was told it should arrive in 4 to 6 weeks. I am very excited to start my build. I know its going to be an extremely long process but I know I will enjoy every minute of it.
newamiga

Post by newamiga »

I know you have already ordered but if you get the chance to head out to Mexico MO to the plant take advantage of it. I was out there in St Louis on business and was able to work in a side trip to Mexico. It is really cool to see how they cut the pieces and assemble the kits as well as being able to talk to the folks out there. They are really nice people. A second suggestion if you haven't built before, I didn't see if you had.. go to the EAA metal working workshop. I attended it with my wife before we started building the RV-12. It was very helpful. One other thought and it may be a non-starter but I attended a William Wynne Corvair engine workshop at Sun n Fun this year. There are a bunch of Zenith's with Corvairs flying today. Not saying it is the best option, I really don't know but the price is right compared to the Rotax. I own a S-LSA with a Rotax and love it but the price of the Corvair and the chance to build your own engine might be interesting too. BTW, I really like the looks of the 750 Cruzer :)

Carl
Private Pilot and RV-12 Builder
langj

Post by langj »

I did get the next best thing. I went to there west coast distributor. Which is owned in part by the designers son. I also will be attending the rudder workshop there. I agree with you on joining EAA in my area which I have already started looking into. I also have the advantage of having two friends with extensive metal working experience. My neighbor builds trains not full size ones but model ones that you can ride on. He has an entire machine shop at his house with CNC. My other friend has been attending classes at our local community collage which I might try to get into a class or two. So, I have good help. Most of all I have patience. I know this is going to be a long process and I am okay with that. As for the corvair engine, it's great in the 601 or 650. However it's horrible in the 701 and 750 and most who try it have ripped it out shortly after. I also looked at vw conversions and they too proved to be problematic. I plan to buy a used rotax 912 by my estimation that should be about 4 to 5 years down the road.