Rotax 912 ULS Resale value

Are you building/buying/flying an Experimental Amateur-Built (E-AB) or Experimental Light Sport (E-LSA) aircraft? Converting an S-LSA to E-LSA? Changing or adding equipment, or otherwise modifying an S-LSA? Need help with Letters of Authorization? Or maybe designing your own aircraft? This forum is the place to discuss All Things Experimental.

Moderator: drseti

Dave C

Rotax 912 ULS Resale value

Post by Dave C »

I have a 912 ULS in my SLSA Sportstar. It is currently in for annual and the gearbox was removed and sent for inspection. Word back is the gearbox is not to spec and needs to be replaced. Options are replace the gearbox or the whole engine. New gearbox is about $4,500

If I got a new engine I could recoup some money by selling the old one.

Info about the engine:
Rotax 912 ULS 2006 1950 hrs (good compression, runs great, 2000 hr TBO crankcase)

Roughly how much do you think this engine might be worth without a gearbox? How about with a new gearbox installed?
3Dreaming

Re: Rotax 912 ULS Resale value

Post by 3Dreaming »

I have one I need to get listed for a customer. It is right around 1000 total time 15 years old. The gearbox inspection is due. We are going to start with an asking price of $5500.
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Where is the best place to buy and sell used Rotax engines? I checked a few places to see what asking prices were. I couldn't find much to compare to.

rotax-owner.com - none currently listed

Barnstormers:
912ULS 2011 36hrs $12,000 WV, USA

E-bay:
912S3 1996hrs $9,995 OBO Dover, UK
912S301 2015 1736hrs $13,995 OBO Dover, UK
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I'm going to try a a couple Facebook groups.
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

I decided to go ahead and get the new gearbox. That hopefully will enable me to go another few years before being in the market for a new engine.
yabiah

Post by yabiah »

Dave C wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:12 am I decided to go ahead and get the new gearbox. That hopefully will enable me to go another few years before being in the market for a new engine.
I think that's a good decision considering you'll probably have no issues exceeding TBO.
Curious to know what was "not to spec."
StingSport N606N S-LSA / Retired Long-distance motorcyclist; IBA #558
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Word on the gearbox was that several aspects were bad. Because of that a repair or rebuild would cost more than a new gearbox. I don't have any more specifics about everything that was wrong with the gearbox. I can say generally that from a pilots perspective there was nothing I could observe that was wrong. The only thing was it was past due for its 1000 hr inspection.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I have had a couple that were not economically repairable. When they are like that there is wear and damage on the gears. From a pilot standpoint you probably wouldn't be able to tell anything, but from a mechanic standpoint you can visibly see the damage once the gearbox is apart. Heavy propellers and operation at low RPM are the two biggest factors for gearbox wear. If you have both you get a double whammy. Once you start the engine try and get your RPM up to 2500 for warm up, and try to keep it as close to that number while on the ground if you can.

One other thing, the new gearboxes have an oil squirter that sprays oil on the gears. This is supposed to reduce gear wear.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Dave, after giving this some thought, I do believe that just replacing the gearbox and running the engine on condition is the right move. The engine should serve you well for a few hundred more hours, which for you should buy quite a few extra years of flying.
Safe Skies,
Paul
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US