Buying your own plane for training

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

rcpilot

Re: Buying your own plane for training

Post by rcpilot »

Was going to do some solo yesterday but the ceiling was too low(broken 2200'). So next lesson is tomorrow and so far looks like the weather will cooperate. As for all the comments on my solo x-country, you guys are a tough bunch! And I don't mean that in a bad way. I will discuss them with my instructor tomorrow.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I certainly don't mean to be tough on you (first, you're not my student, and second, you are a student). But I'm certainly entitled to be tough on your instructor, just as I expect my fellow CFIs to be tough on me! :wink:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Well, weather cleared up enough for a lesson this afternoon. In keeping getting me ready for my checkride, we practiced slow flight, power on stalls and power off stalls. Also an emergency decent, as in your on fire, now what do you do? All along the way, questions about this, that and the other thing. Other than needing an oil change in a few hours hope to get more in this week.
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Last night did some solo pattern work. Not a lot, just 4 full stop landings, .8 hours. Hopefully, I'll get my oil change today and then tomorrow my instructor and I will fly from KHWV to KVAY. I'm going for transitioning the class B around JFK and maybe I'll use flight following as well. Might as well make the most if it.
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Well, my instructors real job killed my plans. First, he was supposed to have a trip last night, then it was cancelled. Then he tells me he has to go today so no x-country or lesson. He won't be back till Sunday. Well, at least they finished the work on my plane and I did a couple circuits in the pattern, then flew out along the beach for a bit. Kept it at 2500'. Totaled another hour. So I'm getting there. It was a bit windy(12 kts) but didn't cause any issues. A little busy at the airport too for a weekday. That's OK, good practice.
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Well, more solo practice today. .8 hours worth. Doesn't look like next week is going to have a trip to KVAY either. At this rate I'll be ready for my checkride before I ever get to do that x-country. :(
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Originally it looked like no lessons this week as my instructor was off doing charter flights. Plan was for solo flight(not that that's a bad thing). Went Tuesday to the field but it was a bit windy for me(11 kts but felt occasionally a little gustier than that) so I passed. Instructor texted me yesterday that he was going to be around. Since I was planning on flying anyway, we met and practiced ground reference maneuvers. I'll need some more practice. :) With turns around a point my biggest problem is getting too close. It's a low wing and I really need to be doing the turn father away so I can see what I'm turning around. S turns were better but still need some work. On the way back to the airport he has me climb to 3000' then, near the airport we do the "your on fire" drill. I tell him I'd shut everything off and then I start my emergency decent, about 1500'/min trying to keep the airspeed in the green. I line up for my final(probably sooner than I would have in "real" life because people have been known to complain about low flying planes near the airport, imagine that). He tells me to land and I'm going a bit fast but manage to do a pretty decent landing using about 3/4 of the 4000' runway. Hopefully today I'll get some solo work in he wants me to practice my short and soft field landings. Next week he says he'll be around so hopefully I'll get to work on my ground reference maneuvers and maybe do some full stop landings and takeoffs at one of the class D airports so I can meet my requirements for that endorsement. No trip to VAY because there is a TFR in place next week.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

rcpilot wrote:Originally it looked like no lessons this week as my instructor was off doing charter flights. Plan was for solo flight(not that that's a bad thing). Went Tuesday to the field but it was a bit windy for me(11 kts but felt occasionally a little gustier than that) so I passed. Instructor texted me yesterday that he was going to be around. Since I was planning on flying anyway, we met and practiced ground reference maneuvers. I'll need some more practice. :) With turns around a point my biggest problem is getting too close. It's a low wing and I really need to be doing the turn father away so I can see what I'm turning around. S turns were better but still need some work. On the way back to the airport he has me climb to 3000' then, near the airport we do the "your on fire" drill. I tell him I'd shut everything off and then I start my emergency decent, about 1500'/min trying to keep the airspeed in the green. I line up for my final(probably sooner than I would have in "real" life because people have been known to complain about low flying planes near the airport, imagine that). He tells me to land and I'm going a bit fast but manage to do a pretty decent landing using about 3/4 of the 4000' runway. Hopefully today I'll get some solo work in he wants me to practice my short and soft field landings. Next week he says he'll be around so hopefully I'll get to work on my ground reference maneuvers and maybe do some full stop landings and takeoffs at one of the class D airports so I can meet my requirements for that endorsement. No trip to VAY because there is a TFR in place next week.
My DPE said something along the lines of "If your plane was really on fire, don't worry about staying in the green. If your body is on fire, don't worry about staying below Vne, either."
- Bruce
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Merlinspop wrote: My DPE said something along the lines of "If your plane was really on fire, don't worry about staying in the green. If your body is on fire, don't worry about staying below Vne, either."
Yes, in a real life emergency I'd probably do everything short of causing the wings to fall off to get on the ground.
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

rcpilot wrote:
Yes, in a real life emergency I'd probably do everything short of causing the wings to fall off to get on the ground.

I think I'd do everything possible to get into a lake, since there are lots of those around here.
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Well, no flying today. Winds 10 kts gusting to 20 kts. :shock: Oh well. So I gave the plane a sponge bath and I'll try again tomorrow.
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Finally got to do some flying today. Even had the instructor! Winds were a problem the end of last week so I didn't get to do any solo work. We worked on steep turns and ground reference maneuvers. With no turn and bank or artificial horizon it's basically eyeballing a 45 degree bank. Did them fairly well and according to my instructor within PTS standards. Still want to practice so they're not so much work. S turns and turns about a point went much better today and I'd say I'm almost to a point where I should be able to do them, on demand, to PTS standards. Spoke with my instructor about doing some landings at the local class D to finish up meeting the requirements for my airspace endorsement. He said we might also go to the local class C as well, get me use to calling ATC as well as the tower. That along with the planned trip to VAY should get me the basics and make me competent to fly through B,C or D airspace should the need arise.

On a side note, while I was waiting for the instructor(I usually get there about a half hour before the lesson so I can preflight the plane) I noticed planes taking off and landing on runway 15. The wind was 200-210(normally we'd use 24) so I'm wondering why. My instructor says yeah the skydiving planes like 15 because it's easier for them to reach their drop zone and the pick up point when they land. He said probably everyone was just following their lead. So just before we get in the plane one of the skydiving planes is flying about 500' over the middle of the field(in a very close downwind for 15) and then just makes a really short final and lands. Alrighty then. That much more I'll have to watch out for. Anyway, once we get in the plane and power up the Unicom says runway 24 is in use and we finally see a couple people actually use it before we takeoff. I guess this is why we always carefully check for traffic when we cross runways because no telling when someone will use one.
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

eyeflygps wrote:Just remember, at an uncontrolled airport, it's up to the pilot to decide which runway to use.

Be suspicious even at tower controlled airports.

I was doing T&Gs at KLEE (Leesburg, FL) yesterday and the tower had us in a right pattern using rwy 13. On one pass, as I turned downwind and looked over at the airport, I noticed a plane holding at rwy 31. Sure enough, he took off using 31, parallel to my downwind, then about midfield, maybe 200' altitude, he made a turn to the north and departed.

I didn't hear what the tower told him. Possibly he screwed up and taxied to the wrong end of the runway and the tower let him go when they could do it safely. Weird and scary, nonetheless.
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

I agree with the above comments. Yesterday is probably the first time I've seen allot of people using the cross wind runway. Maybe because it was a weekend(most of my flying is during the week). Of course the skydiving plane not really using the "normal" pattern was a bit much. My instructor drills it into me to keep an eye out for traffic and to not be afraid to call out to see if someone is in the pattern or where they might be.
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Thanks to the weather no flying tonight. And, looks like my instructor will be out for the next week and a half so.... Just going to do more solo work and study for the oral part of the checkride.