Accelerated Training?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

ajh60

Accelerated Training?

Post by ajh60 »

Hi-

Living in the area I live in (mass-nh) I cannot find any fight training in an LSA. I am looking for a school that has a small history with this type of training. I located one however he had to close his doors after a rough patch. Now I am thinking of finding a place that does the accelerated training within a couple of weeks time and simply go for it. Has anyone done this type of training? I would prefer the traditional method however my options here are slim or none...just curious..
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Still looking? Did you try the suggestions we gave in the earlier thread?

http://sportpilottalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=1132

Any luck when you contacted those sources? And the Sport Pilot training in Danielson Connecticut?

Also, a good discussion of accelerated training is here:

http://sportpilottalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=979

Did you decide not to go for full Private Pilot after all?

Tom
CESantos

Post by CESantos »

ajh60 -
I sympathize with you and am in a similar situation. I did get an intro flight in a Gobash G700 up in Sanford, ME, at Southern Maine Aviation. They have two Gobashs and a FPNA A22 Valor. I thought the Gobash flew well and I wouldn't mind training in it. There rates are also a lot cheaper than in the metro Boston area. I also liked the instructor I flew with (Chief Instructor), but my problem is like yours. Its 2 hours up there! I'm not up to that. Not much different than going to Danielson.
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Keep in mind - you can take all your sport pilot training up until your first sport pilot solo, with just about any cfi, in just about any small plane, at just about any local FBO (flight school, training center, etc.).

Tom
tech10002

Post by tech10002 »

I'm in the same boat myself. There were no LSAs for rent less than a couple hours away, so I decided to try doing most of my training in standard category aircraft since I already had almost 50 hours from years ago when I was going for my private. For me, it just turned out to be not such a good idea. The C172 or 152 that you'll typically find at flight schools flies so much differently in ground effect than any LSA I've seen that you almost have to learn to land all over again.

I finally found a place that's about 1 1/2 to 2 hours away and am taking a flight with them Sunday or Monday. It's still really further than I'd like to drive, but if I like the instructor, I will probably just get a room up there for a few days at a time and fly every day.

I also spoke with http://www.sportplanesflorida.com/ in Sarasota , and they seem like a good place. They're very accommodating, and they tell me their instructors are retired airline pilots. They said they could probably get me finished in a week or so. If the more local place doesn't work out, I will probably go down there. You can get an efficiency type room very close to the airport for $350 a week.

Good luck. I hope you find the training you're looking for.
KSCessnaDriver

Post by KSCessnaDriver »

tech10002 wrote:I also spoke with http://www.sportplanesflorida.com/ in Sarasota , and they seem like a good place. They're very accommodating, and they tell me their instructors are retired airline pilots. They said they could probably get me finished in a week or so. If the more local place doesn't work out, I will probably go down there. You can get an efficiency type room very close to the airport for $350 a week.
Yup, I'll second SportPlanesFlorida. I'm a Private SEL&SES, Instrument pilot (still sounds weird to say that, just passed the checkride), but I love to fly light sport. I've been checked out there, and flown both of the Remos' they've got. Good planes, good school, good guys. Plus, the airport, while being a fairly busy, is really really easy to get in and out of. Of everywhere I've flown, I think they are the most accommodating ATC of light sport. They have a basic understanding of what the LSA planes can/can't do, and they'll work with you to get you in.

I'd defiantly consider coming down to Florida to knock the whole thing out at once, if you are willing to do that. I know some places, that if you got 14 nice days, could get the whole private pilot course done. So, I would think 10 days would be plenty for a light sport rating.

Goodluck
KSCessnaDriver (ATP MEL, Commerical LTA-Airship/SEL, Private SES, CFI/CFII)
LSA's flown: Remos G3, Flight Design CTSW, Aeronca L-16, Jabiru J170
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

I contacted Paul (FBO owner) at Danielson Airport (Connecticut). They've cancelled sport pilot training, altho' they still offer full Private Pilot instruction.

He did, however, suggest Northampton Aeronautics, at Northampton Airport in Massachusetts. It's about 6 miles north of Springfield, off of I-91. Telephone 413-584-7980. Maybe this is closer to you?

Hope this helps.
Tom
ajh60

Post by ajh60 »

hi-
Ct no longer has it available and NH closed its doors based on the last email I received. I did not go fo a PPl because a lot of local schools simply had no love for the sport pilot....will keep looking though-I live within 40 minutes of multiple flight schools, you think one would see a business opportunity here....
Daidalos

Post by Daidalos »

Somehow I managed to start a new topic instead of a reply.

Please see http://sportpilottalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=1154
Marcus - WA2DCI
PP ASEL Instrument

Daidalos Greek: Δαίδαλος
Remember don't fly too close to the Sun.
CESantos

Post by CESantos »

AJH60-
Are you confusing Northampton, MA with North Hampton, NH? Northampton, MA ( 7B2- http://www.northamptonairport.com) still advertises the CTLS (lower right of web page) while North Hampton, NH (7B3 - http://www.northeastlsa.com) has ceased training and renting CZAW SportCruisers. The two they have are up for sale. (CZAW is in bankruptcy).
tech10002

Post by tech10002 »

Wow, I wished I lived in MA. Their prices are very good. Most places want almost 200 bucks an hour for an Arrow here, and C172s are around $130. $92 for a brand new CTLS is awesome, too.
ajh60

Post by ajh60 »

CE,
No I am not confusing the two. (though it does seem it in my post) NH mass is simply one that is about 2 hours away- I think that I will probably take a ride there to see if can be made in less time. It is simply that I would like to do it a bit closer. A two hour lesson now becomes an all day affair which makes it a bit more difficult...
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

ajh - why not just take flying lessons in a non-Light Sport Aircraft, with a cfi near you? You can take all your pre-solo instruction from any CFI in just about any small airplane.

Then when you're ready for your sport pilot solo, make the longer trip to a Sport Pilot place and finish up there.

I assume that as there's no sport pilot training or Light Sport Aircraft close to you, you're planning to buy a plane for yourself?

I'd be willing to bet that just about any sport pilot place is more than willing to sell you a plane.

Tom
CESantos

Post by CESantos »

AJ,
When I went up to Sanford, ME, last summer, it took me about 1:45 in light traffic, which is not the norm on 495 and 95 - usually much busier. For me, that would take the fun out of it. I also estimated Northampton, MA, at about 2 hours.

Executive Flyers at Hanscom Field (KBED) has two Cessna C162 Skycatchers which they expect to receive this year. They say they "plan" to start a Sport Pilot program. They seem to be a little more expensive. Right now, their "cheapest" C172 goes for $172/hour dual. (They have no 152s.) I wouldn't expect it to be much cheaper, if any, for a new Skycatcher. Up at Sanford, their Gobash goes for $135/hour, dual.

That would be convenient as I'm located between Minuteman Field (6B6) and Hanscom Field. What's your closest airfield?
smokiescfi

Post by smokiescfi »

I have been providing accelerated training for about 4 years now with a great deal of success. I've had three folks finish this month with less than 10 days in training. With 5000 hours of flght instruction under my belt, I've got it down to a science. I train in an Aeronca Champ, no glass or gadgets, but fully restored, and a fantastic, honest trainer that is fun to fly. The best part is airppane and Master Instructor for $119 and hour.
Greg Collins
ATP, Gold Seal Master CFI, A&P Mechanic, IA
Blue Ridge Sport Flight LLC
http://www.blueridgesportflight.com