Can student pilot ferry plane solo XC?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Doss79

Can student pilot ferry plane solo XC?

Post by Doss79 »

Is there anyway for a student pilot to fly solo from one city to another if he doesn't have his sport pilot license yet? I'm real close to checkride, but I need to ferry a Cub from Dallas to San Antonio (i just bought it thanks to the current economy).
Jeff Tipton

Post by Jeff Tipton »

You would need a solo endorsement in the Cub before you could consider this trip. You would also need training at each of the airports that you would be landing at while bringing the Cub home. The flying will take around fours hours plus the time on the ground. If your instructor is tail wheel endorsed I think it would be easier to hire the instructor to go with you and log dual time toward your checkout. Hope this helps.
Doss79

Post by Doss79 »

Jeff Tipton wrote:You would need a solo endorsement in the Cub before you could consider this trip. You would also need training at each of the airports that you would be landing at while bringing the Cub home. The flying will take around fours hours plus the time on the ground. If your instructor is tail wheel endorsed I think it would be easier to hire the instructor to go with you and log dual time toward your checkout. Hope this helps.
I am solo endorsed and soloed out of the airport that will be my final destination. I also have flown with the instructor at his ranch near Dallas (which is what would be my departure airport). The only thing I have not done is fly from the departure airport to my final destination airport.

I'm thinking what I'll do is log my final training time as a XC to the halfway point and then return back to my instructor's airport.