Sport Pilot Training in the Spokane area?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

michaelheit

Sport Pilot Training in the Spokane area?

Post by michaelheit »

Does any one know of a training center in or around Spokane, WA [KGEG] that offers the Sport Pilot Training?

Thanks,

Mike Heit
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

Mike,
On my Sport Pilot LSA locator www.BeASportPilot.com I do not have anyone at Spokane but some near by. If you find anyone closer please let me know so I can get them on the map for others.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
michaelheit

Post by michaelheit »

I found this http://jacksonflight.com/index.php?opti ... 3&Itemid=3

Jackson's Flight Center in Moses Lake , WA offers Sport Pilot training; they quoted about $2500.00 to $3500.00 for the SP ticket.

Check the Prossor Center tab they offer training too ....
Z06 C5

Post by Z06 C5 »

http://flighttraining.aopa.org/default.html

From AOPA - Flight training website. Click the school listings at the bottom of the page.
Z06 C5

Post by Z06 C5 »

From AOPA - Flight training website. Click the school listings at the bottom of the page.
Z06 C5

Post by Z06 C5 »

drseti

Post by drseti »

michaelheit wrote: they quoted about $2500.00 to $3500.00 for the SP ticket.

I don't see how that lower figure is at all possible. At the absolute minimum FAA requirement (15 hrs dual, 5 hrs solo) and assuming a CFI rate of only $40/hr (which is below par), the plane would have to rent for $95 hour, wet. Possible, of course, but what about sales tax? testing fees? instructional materials? ground instruction? test prep? etc... I think they're leaving a lot out when they quote figures like that.

If you do everything right, and succeed in the absolute minimum number of hours, the higher figure above is just barely realistic. I advertise a discounted (prepaid) rate of $3798 plus sales tax and testing fees, for SP at the minimum FAA required hours. And, given the similarity in performance and operating costs of all the S-LSAs, everybody's prices in this industry are pretty much the same. So, if somebody advertises a whole lot less than everybody else, you should be highly suspicious.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

I agree with Paul about the costs. That is pretty cheap. I did research the cheap school a little but not enough info to put on the map yet. Any luck taking lessons with them?

I tried the AOPA search real quick after finding a zip code as a start, and got a bunch of codes which does not look like anything with LSA. Hard to tell. Because all these finding schools have have everybody without LSA and names of cities, it is hard to work with locations.

Any additional LSA schools?
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites