Pirep training in Phoenix area?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

ruzz

Pirep training in Phoenix area?

Post by ruzz »

Hi,

New Sport Pilot student here. I'm trying to find accelerated training in the Phoenix area.

Any students or former students out there who can recommend or dis-recommend an instructor or school?

Can you give specifics: what was bad and what was good about the training?

Thanks,

Russ Berg
AZPilot

Post by AZPilot »

Russ,
Alliance in Scottsdale does SP training in the REMOS G3.

I have no personal experience with them, but LSA rentals in the PHX metro area area are extremely limited.

http://www.allianceflightschools.com/
CFIIMEI
ruzz

thanks

Post by ruzz »

Thanks for that. I will look into Alliance.

I'm hesitant because of the busy towered airport. I've been listening to the Scottsdale tower and I cannot understand 80% of what they are saying. Yeah, it would be a good way to learn how use a towered field but I would rather take one step at a time.

Also, would a busy airport cut into training time..sitting in line to take off?

Russ
AZPilot

Re: thanks

Post by AZPilot »

ruzz wrote:Thanks for that. I will look into Alliance.

I'm hesitant because of the busy towered airport. I've been listening to the Scottsdale tower and I cannot understand 80% of what they are saying. Yeah, it would be a good way to learn how use a towered field but I would rather take one step at a time.

Also, would a busy airport cut into training time..sitting in line to take off?

Russ
There are good and less good points about training at a fairly active airport.

Plus side is that you will gain great confidence in operating in a busy environment. The radio comms will come with practice. It's pretty basic: Who are you, Where are you, and what do you want from the controller? (A scanner or monitor that you can listen to will help).

Minus is that you may, on occasion, have more taxi and ground
waiting time to get airborne. (Rush hour on Friday late afternoon is not a good time). Another minus is that you have to travel farther to a "practice area".

Unfortunately in the PHX metro area, all of the airports have the same "practice area" travel.

If training were available in Buckeye or Casa Grande, you would cut down on taxi and travel time, but then you probably would be driving a couple of hours roundtrip to get there.
CFIIMEI