I solo'ed, now what?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

AZPilot

Post by AZPilot »

MacPara23 wrote:
AZPilot wrote:Solo should also be a time to gain confidence in your abilities.

There is nothing wrong with just taking a "sight seeing" trip to the practice area once in awhile.

My only concern would be that you don't lose the proficiency that you had pre-solo. After solo, you and your instructor should be really trying to get you prepped for the flight check. The "grunt work" is really pre-solo, and usually a student should try to finish up pretty quickly afterwords.

Did your instructor put any "conditions/limitations" on your solo endorsement? Also wondering if you have taken the written yet?
I flew again and also talked to him yesterday. He was waiting for me to make the move to ask to go forward after getting some confidence flying alone. We are going to go on another short dual tomorrow to get me prepped for doing the more sophisticated stuff, i.e. short/soft field and forward slip to a landing. With having me do it solo afterwards with ground supervision.
He got very cautious in the last few months as he had some guys going nuts after soloing, freezing up, freaking out, etc.. So he wants to be sure that I do it at my own pace and that I ask for a moving on. I guess that's reasonable.
Yes, he put a 10kts surface wind limitation on it.
And, yes, I ticked the knowledge test off the list weeks before I soloed.
Good for you. I'm glad you and your instructor are back on the same page.

You should have XC coming up as well.

What aircraft are you flying?
CFIIMEI
MacPara23

Post by MacPara23 »

AZPilot wrote: Good for you. I'm glad you and your instructor are back on the same page.

You should have XC coming up as well.

What aircraft are you flying?
Yeah, feels good to know where I'm heading again!

And, yes, he mentioned the solo XC, we already did the dual XC before soloing. So, I guess I should think about a nice route that I could enjoy and propose that...

I'm flying a RANS S-12S with a 912S. Nice little airplane with great visibility!

Where in AZ are you flying?
AZPilot

Post by AZPilot »

RANS makes many good products.

I'm up in PHX area.
CFIIMEI
designrs

Post by designrs »

See the following link for some good guidelines for the post-solo pilot.
Particularly relevant to discussion, a recommendation not to practice departure stalls without an instructor,
and a few other subjects well phrased.

http://www.midislandair.com/Personal-Li ... klist.html

(I have no personal interest in promoting this website. Just information that I found useful.)
drseti

Post by drseti »

designrs wrote: http://www.midislandair.com/Personal-Li ... klist.html

(I have no personal interest in promoting this website. Just information that I found useful.)
I concur! In fact, I found that document so useful that, a couple of months ago, I got Lou Mancuso's permission to post it to my flight school website. Subsequently, we became friends, are collaborating on updating the PLC -- and, I ended up buying a plane from him! :D
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US