Oral portion of checkride - Sport Pilot

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

sport flyer45

Oral portion of checkride - Sport Pilot

Post by sport flyer45 »

What is the best way to prepare for the Oral part of the checkride? With the volume of information we must take in, I am trying to get my arms around this. Should I review test questions from the written exam, read the FAR? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
flyguy1

Post by flyguy1 »

We tell our students to review the Practical Test Standards Book (you should have one of these for the check ride). The index lays out the format of the check ride with the first sections being the primary focus of the oral portion of the check ride. It never hurts to sharpen up on the FAR's, especially the privileges and limitations regulations.
James Scheibner
Hillsdale Aero, Inc.
AZPilot

Post by AZPilot »

Appropriate sections of the FAR/AIM as it relates to being a Sport Pilot. Also be prepared to explain the operational characteristics/performance/service of the aircraft that you will be tested in. Be able to read charts/AFD that you will be using.

Your instructor should be doing an extensive "pre checkride" oral with you to find out what you may be weak on.

When the time comes, just relax. Checkride-itis can sink an otherwise well prepared applicant. Answer questions as asked, don't overembellish. If the examiner wants more, he will ask more.

Assuming that you have been properly trained, the checkride should be a non-event.

I will also add that the oral usually sets the "tone" for the flight portion.
CFIIMEI
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

Also, be sure to bring the FAR/AIM, your POH, weight and balance, a local sectional and anything else you might need to help you answer a question. Saying "let me look it up" is way better than "I don't know".
scottj

Oral Exam Prep

Post by scottj »

All of the above suggestions are good. What text are you using? ASA and Paul Hamilton make a great oral exam prep book for all certificates. These books also make for good flight review material.

Where is your CFI in this process? Have done a mock oral and practical exam with him, or better yet... a different CFI?
Flight training begins on the ground, not in the air.℠
2011 FAASTeam Representative of the Year, Great Lakes Region
http://www.SticknRudder.com
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

Thanks Scott for the recommendation. It is now becoming the Bible for checkrides.
I wrote a book that provides exactly all the questions and answers to study based on the PTS for the sport check ride. It should be exactly what you need. The PTS is great for what the FAA requires or the FAA questions, but the “Sport Pilot Checkride” book provides the detailed questions and ANSWERS. It can be found at www.AP-Stores.com and is the "Sport Pilot Checkride" book I wrote and published by ASA.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites