ELSA training

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

seastar

ELSA training

Post by seastar »

I have a different question about training in an ELSA.
Can I hire an instructor to train my grandchildren/children in an ELSA that I own. (Cubcrafters Super Sport Cub with ELSA certificate)
????
I will not be charging for the use of the aircraft.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Don't know about the "legality" of hiring that instructor. However, you should also have a talk with your insurance agent. Sounds like a pretty hefty increase to me.
--
<i>If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.
Selling Personal Checks and Business Checks helps pay for the 'Coupe.</i> :)
--
bryancobb

ELSA Training

Post by bryancobb »

YES,
Any CFI can be compensated for their TIME instructing in any EXPERIMENTAL or CERTIFICATED aircraft, LSA or Non-LSA. Many CFI's won't touch an experimental aircraft, but many consider it their specialty.

The AIRCRAFT is not being used for compensation or hire. (Rented)

Think about it...there are a lot of CFI's who have a lot of experience in, say for example, Lancairs, that make their living traveling all over the country, checking someone out in their newly finished Lancair. THEY GET PAID WELL FOR THEIR TIME.

Also...Bill, I would speculate that seastar, like most LSA owners, doesn't have any insurance. I could be wrong. Most LSA folks are looking for "cheap flying" which doesn't even belong in the same sentence as "aviation insurance."
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Commercial/Instrument Airplane
Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
rfane

Re: ELSA Training

Post by rfane »

bryancobb wrote:Also...Bill, I would speculate that seastar, like most LSA owners, doesn't have any insurance. I could be wrong. Most LSA folks are looking for "cheap flying" which doesn't even belong in the same sentence as "aviation insurance."
Bryan,

If you know anything about the Cubcrafters SuperSport Cub, you'll know that the price tag is fairly high. This isn't cheap flying.

I have my LSA well insured. The prices are not dropping, and I want to be able to buy another, if mine were to get written off.
Roger Fane
Former owner of a 2006 Flight Design CTsw
bryancobb

Price

Post by bryancobb »

I knew the High Tech Cubs were not cheap, especially the Super types.

At my local airport (KVPC), insurance is discussed a lot and many choose to not have insurance of any kind, even on more expensive GA stuff.

Sorry if I even slightly implied that a Cub Clone is a "cheap" machine.
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Commercial/Instrument Airplane
Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
seastar

Training and insurance

Post by seastar »

Thanks for all the input!
My soon to be delivered, new Cub Crafters Carbon Cub SS is, as LSA go, very expensive.
Just about the most expensive LSA out there. :shock:
I intend to insure it and have been getting quotes.
Adding primary instruction more than doubles the cost.
It may be cheaper to hire an aircraft for my grandchildren to learn in.
We will see how it goes.
Bill