Challenger Light Sport A/C

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

19rotary68

Challenger Light Sport A/C

Post by 19rotary68 »

Hello Folks:
I'd like to hear (read) your opinions, instructional problems, problems w/ a/c, or "little tricks you learned" of which you may have experienced while training in a Challenger (hopefully, there are some not to ashamed to admit it :oops: ).

Presently, I'm having a bit of fun-have a pretty good Instructor as well; but, I've noticed a couple quirky areas, that I'd like your opines and ideas, so that in league with this pretty good Instructor, I might become a better-safe, fixed wing -sport pilot :shock:

What "I" view as quirky: Flaperons-vs. Flaps...there are no flaps; (but, I can learn!); next: seems like the Challengers are built for "Texans" :lol:
Very long, legged-Texans!

As stated, I'm very happy w/ my Instructor-but, I believe I can learn additional from others out there too, with their experiences.

I intend to take my time, enjoy the Instructor, experiences-and perhaps, may gain some knowledge from others that have flown these little creatures. BTW, this is a Challenger (older model) w/503.

Thanks folks,
Rotary
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

my first plane was a single seated challenger with a 503. i wasn't bothered by the flaperons, in fact it was capable of some pretty steep descents.

i sold it almost 20 years ago and tend to miss it from time to time.
19rotary68

Post by 19rotary68 »

Thank you for your remarks there, Charlie Tango. Actually, to clarify any possible denigration of this model, I rather do like it.
My only "handicap" is being rather short on legs, and long on "Get it done anyway".
The Flaperon business got me. I was initially taught w/ flaps...and, dawgonit, one still has to be "un-pottied trained". I'm having fun.

But, original call for anyone that may have particular examples of how they handled one of these guys-still is there. I aim to learn from all points of the compass, and any ideas provided; I would of course share with my Instructor-to get his input...after all, He's the Teacher-I'm the student, and I wouldn't feel comfortable w/o always having him in the loop; I also trust this person's Knowledge, Skill and Ability.

Guess I'm "fishing" for any ideas and opinions that could assist me learning all I can about this little creature. :D

Rotary
flyboy2007

Post by flyboy2007 »

I too also built a single seat for my first plane. I had a friend that was short and he would put a cushion of some sort behind his back. As for the flapperons I would just set them for trim in cruise and never touch them again. except when you burn off some fuel or have a full tank but then that only takes about a quarter turn. Happy flying!
"Keep on Draggin"