Need training advice

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

yozz25

thanks

Post by yozz25 »

yeah, thanks for that, it's very helpful in checking this unique type of plane.
Now I need the check list for the systems, preflight, runup, prelanding, etc, shutdown. That is missing, but this one is great for the walkaround.

Since the wings fold, have to make sure everything is locked in place inside the cabin.

thanks
yozz
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

yozz,

Its a good idea to pick up a POH or an Owner's Manual for every plane you intend on flying. Even if you end up in something else, each has valuable information.

I have an entire shelf of old POH's, and they're fun to go back to on occasion.

I may have the opportunity to aid in the delivery of a Paradise LSA, and the first thing I asked for was a copy of the POH. Now, with the internet, getting pdf files of POH's should be trivially easy, which you can then print out or just carry in an iPhone, iPad or other device for ready access.

BTW, a new Cirrus comes with about a dozen manuals, not only for the plane, but for each piece of avionics - its quite a pile when you put it all together. A couple years back I ferried a Mooney from FL to MI for a friend. I thought the difference in manuals over the years was "enlightening" and the SR22 manual was just the POH, not including the avionics manuals:

Bear in mind that as far as systems go, the Mooney is the more "complex" plane than the Cirrus, with retractable gear, controllable prop, cowl flaps, that sort of thing.

One thing I have noticed - many LSA's have noticeably "light" documentation. Performance charts can be minimal, or even missing entirely.

But, of course, you're right - each plane should have checklists available for students and/or renters - if not in the form of a POH, then laminated and placed in the plane. I found it helped to actually cable laminated checklists to my rental planes so they wouldn't "walk away".
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
yozz25

yup

Post by yozz25 »

Thanks Eddie:

Yesterday was speaking with another fellow ex-pat New Yawker who has his ppl ticket. He told me the same stuff I'm complaining about and he went on his own strategy to get the CFI's that worked for him. He liked he women, but said 2 of them got pregnant while teaching him, so that was a bummer.

He even demanded the DPE of his choice as he puts it, refused to go with the one recommended by his last CFI.

As for manuals, yeah, they are interesting. I just have to fend for myself here, and next time I see the checklist, go copy it and laminate it myself for the remos. Yup, the new jobs are kind of thin on info, spend 140K on a plane and they don't want to chew up a twig to print you anything, go figure.

So it seems the winds have died down, and now have to make the move and get back to the school and see if I can "negotiate" my wants and needs with them as expressed above. When paying 119 per hour wet for remos plus slight fuel charge, plus 55 for CFI (not bad price) with another .5 hour tacked on for nothing, it adds up. Since plane is not being used much if not at all, perhaps there is a bargaining point here.

If you advertise the goods, deliver, don't bullshit.

yozz
:D
drseti

Post by drseti »

Not to be outdone by Eddie, here's my favorite minimalist POH.

The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
rfane

Re: yup

Post by rfane »

yozz25 wrote:He told me the same stuff I'm complaining about and he went on his own strategy to get the CFI's that worked for him. He liked he women, but said 2 of them got pregnant while teaching him, so that was a bummer.
Just what were they teaching him? :wink: Flight training can really get expensive when you have to add paternity issues on top of it.
Roger Fane
Former owner of a 2006 Flight Design CTsw
yozz25

pregnant, hmm

Post by yozz25 »

Starting to wonder myself about this guy, paternaty, hmm, no wonder he is always answering his cell phone and running off to take care of business.

Nice brochures guys, wish I had one.

In anycase, just found a liittle brochure from remos, small foldable thing. but it gives me all the v speeds in kts/mph. Very helpful, the approach is what I need to know, seems standard at 65 kts.

What is amazing, as I practice on flight sim, in the 172 with glass, the speed I come in on in stabilized approach is about 65kts.

Now all I need to do is muck around with the rpm on rotax, guess once I get up to altitude and turn into pattern

Then pull it back to 4000, hold 1000 agl, when abeam numbers, get it down to say 3000 rpm see what happens, if good, then put flaps when v is ok, then get to 45 angle, turn to base, another flap, then turn to final, another flap, always seeing if the rpm is working eyeballing airspeed and runway, then stabilized power approach in. That is the plan I intend on throwing at CFI, since he has no plan.

Been practicing this on 172 to a science on sim. If it works, I'll send school a bill.

booked for tomorrow morning

yozz
8)
yozz25

great idea

Post by yozz25 »

Hey, since I'm considered such a "character" why don't you CFI's out there bid on me. Take me up as a challenge. See if you guys can put some effort into taming me, if yer up to it?

I'll pay some of the expenses, williing to fly out to where you are, if you can devise me a lesson plan and get me going.

I'm easy to feed, fun to be with, bust your chops a bit and don't cost much, since I steal my own soup at the local supermarket, you won't be disappointed, I'll make your life interesting.

So any takers
:twisted:
yozz
drseti

Re: great idea

Post by drseti »

yozz25 wrote: you won't be disappointed, I'll make your life interesting.
Yozz, you make my life interesting enough right here on the forums. I'm not sure I can take any more than that! :wink:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
AZPilot

Post by AZPilot »

FastEddieB wrote:yozz,

Its a good idea to pick up a POH or an Owner's Manual for every plane you intend on flying. Even if you end up in something else, each has valuable information.

I have an entire shelf of old POH's, and they're fun to go back to on occasion.

I may have the opportunity to aid in the delivery of a Paradise LSA, and the first thing I asked for was a copy of the POH. Now, with the internet, getting pdf files of POH's should be trivially easy, which you can then print out or just carry in an iPhone, iPad or other device for ready access.

BTW, a new Cirrus comes with about a dozen manuals, not only for the plane, but for each piece of avionics - its quite a pile when you put it all together. A couple years back I ferried a Mooney from FL to MI for a friend. I thought the difference in manuals over the years was "enlightening" and the SR22 manual was just the POH, not including the avionics manuals:

Bear in mind that as far as systems go, the Mooney is the more "complex" plane than the Cirrus, with retractable gear, controllable prop, cowl flaps, that sort of thing.

One thing I have noticed - many LSA's have noticeably "light" documentation. Performance charts can be minimal, or even missing entirely.

But, of course, you're right - each plane should have checklists available for students and/or renters - if not in the form of a POH, then laminated and placed in the plane. I found it helped to actually cable laminated checklists to my rental planes so they wouldn't "walk away".
Good advice.

Also regarding the difference in the POH/AFMs in the pic. Thank the lawyers.
CFIIMEI
yozz25

yes

Post by yozz25 »

Thanks Doc"

Good to know I enhance somewhat your hobby of aviation.

checked out my schedule for today, since I can book a lesson on line, they changed my instructor, perhaps the other one is still in therapy, maybe shock treatment. He did look a bit constipated.

The greatest thing about being retired is that you can let it all hang out, not that I ever did conform to anyone's rules in adult life, but you are free to express yourself and demand what you want, be outspoken, politically uncorrect, grammatically uncorrect too.

So, let me size up this sucker today, see what his MO is, and see if I can work with him, if not, he goes to therapy with the other guy. If so, I'll put him on the payroll and perhaps he'll get me the ticket.

People who love to fly, including myself, probably have a subconscious reason for wanting to be above it all, since pilots in general seem to be loners at heart, being their own boss with the ability to take off and figuratively "defacate" on the world below. Behind the yoke, you are the boss, free to pee on whatever tree you see.

Keep trucking.

yozz