Computer Based Ground School Training?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

TiGmsm

Computer Based Ground School Training?

Post by TiGmsm »

Hi,

I want to the start sport pilot training this summer. Since the flight school is about an hour drive away, attending their evening ground school is difficult at best. The alternative is a computer based ground school.

Does anyone have experience with a CBT program? As you worked through the program how well did it prepare you for flight school? How well did it match the curriculum of your sport pilot training? Was it particularly well-done or just awful to watch?

I have found three possible programs:

Cessna on-line
King Schools DVD
Sporty's on-line and DVD

The latter two will sign off for the written test. Are there others?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Bob
Aerco

Post by Aerco »

I have personal experience with ASA, Gleim and King material and have to say the King stuff seemed to be presented in a way that made it more memorable.

Gleim is very to the point, no frills but if you like that style it's very good; you won't have to absorb anything extraneous.

The ASA material I thought was a little, well, dry - graphics and the presentation were very basic

I saw Sporty's demos and liked them a lot.

All very subjective, but I'd go for King or Sporty's.
"Someone already thought of that."
drseti

Re: Computer Based Ground School Training?

Post by drseti »

TiGmsm wrote: I have found three possible programs:

Cessna on-line
King Schools DVD
Sporty's on-line and DVD

The latter two will sign off for the written test. Are there others?
Bob, I've designed my curriculum to mesh with the Gleim Sport Pilot Kit with test-prep software. I'm also studying the ASA material, to determine compatibility. Ask your flight school which course (whether online or CD/DVD) is most compatible with their curriculum. They likely have a preference that will work well.
Last edited by drseti on Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

I also used the Gleim kit and found it very useful and informative. I would agree that it is an all business program that gets to the point quickly, but does so successfully if you are acceptable to that type of learning.

I purchased my kit before I started my training and later found out by my instructor that he really liked the King courses. After seeing some of the products at the AOPA Aviation Summit and Sun-n-Fun I would agree that although Gleim can get you prepared for what you need, Sporty's and King will probably get you there a little easier with more enjoyment.
AZPilot

Post by AZPilot »

I have no experience with the new Cessna online courses, but their original King produced CPC CBI was superior.

That's all we used in our CPC. Tracking and feedback for the CFI were wonderful.

The CBI at the time was a true ground school, not just a test prep.

When I did my Private, Cessna was using filmstrip and synchronized tapes. :shock:
CFIIMEI
drseti

Post by drseti »

AZPilot wrote: When I did my Private, Cessna was using filmstrip and synchronized tapes.
Gee, when I started, Aeronca was using stone tablets and chisels! :shock: :wink:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
AZPilot

Post by AZPilot »

drseti wrote:
AZPilot wrote: When I did my Private, Cessna was using filmstrip and synchronized tapes.
Gee, when I started, Aeronca was using stone tablets and chisels! :shock: :wink:
Next thing you are going to tell me is that Orville personally signed your CAA pilot certificate. :lol:

We'd better quit before we have to dig out!
CFIIMEI
drseti

Post by drseti »

AZPilot wrote: Next thing you are going to tell me is that Orville personally signed your CAA pilot certificate.
No, he personally chiseled his name on my CAA stone tablet.

:wink:
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US