This is HOPELESS!!!!!

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

N918KT

This is HOPELESS!!!!!

Post by N918KT »

I really, really can't find any flight school in Northern/Central NJ in the NYC metro area that has a sport pilot program!!! I've looked at a couple airports in NJ and still no luck! Some of them may have SP but they are either too far away from home or may not have a SP program/LSA for a long time! I don't know what to do anymore! Someone please help me!!!

I really hope that I could be trained at Morristown since that airport is only a 20 minute drive from home and its the closest airport to my home.
FLA-CFI

Post by FLA-CFI »

Your best bet is to take 2 or 3 weeks off and go to a school with an accelerated program. Or take several long weekends.

We have many students come fly with us because they are in the same situation as you. There are some parts of the country undeserved with Sport Pilot training, and others over-served.

Call up and talk to several schools and their instructors about the accelerated training. Right now that is probably your only choice unless you have the capital to buy a LSA and hire an instructor. Ercoupes are pretty cheap....
Adam

CFI-SP, Light Sport Repairman - Maintenance, Rotax Cert.
Orlando, FL
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

I really doubt that my parents will let me travel far just to get accelerated SP training. Tell ya the truth, I don't think my parents care about me flying anymore because it's too expensive and dangerous. They just don't see the value of flying. And I doubt that my parents will buy an LSA for me.
drseti

Post by drseti »

N918KT wrote:I really doubt that my parents will let me ...
Kevin, flying is obviously your dream, not that of your parents. In the final analysis, it is up to you, not them, to make this happen. Instead of worrying about what training your parents will or will not pay for, you should really be thinking about landing a good summer job. With hard work, you can earn and save enough to pay for your training, and by next summer, you will be able to go anywhere you want, to fly whatever airplane you choose. Stop waiting for someone else to do this for you, and make a commitment to yourself!

Good luck.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FLA-CFI

Post by FLA-CFI »

My parents were the same way when I was in College. Then wanted me to finish my degree before learning to fly so it didn't interfere.
Well I found a way to do it anyways...saved up the money and happened to have a friend who was a CFI I was going to school with that was willing to teach me. Did my PVT in about 1.5 months flying just about everyday.

Just lay out your goals and figure out a way to accomplish them, don't let anything or anyone stand in your way.
Adam

CFI-SP, Light Sport Repairman - Maintenance, Rotax Cert.
Orlando, FL
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Just wondering, are there any wanna-be sport pilots, student sport pilots, or sport pilots who want an SP program in Northern/Central NJ airports? Tadel001 said to me one time not to long ago that there are some pilots who want an LSA/SP program in NJ? Anyone interested??
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

Is there a particular reason you want to do SP rather than private? Just a thought.

You might also check around to see if any of the local schools that do private instruction have a Champ, Cub or other SP legal plane. If they do then they might be willing to work with you. You can get a list of these planes through links at eaa.org.

The Practical Test Standards (flying standards) for the two are identical, so as far a teaching the flying there is no difference. You just don't need night, hood, and some of the Nav stuff.

Your weather standards are going to be different - and much easier to remember! Your cross country will be shorter.

You can learn all the SP particular stuff for free on-line or through a low cost course. This should be backed up by discussions with your instructor, but there is no need for the school to have a complete SP ground syllabus.

Good luck.

Ron
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

The reason why I want to do SP is because it is cheaper (My parents may want me to pay for my flight training and I don't think I can afford private), no medical required, because I don't think I can pass a medical (I have high-functioning autism and take disqualifying psych drugs), and low and slow fits my mission.
drseti

Post by drseti »

N918KT wrote: no medical required, because I don't think I can pass a medical
Kevin, I agree that Sport Pilot should be perfect for you. If you have any doubt at all about passing a medical, I strongly believe that you shouldn't even try. If you're denied, then you've lost your Sport Pilot privileges. A pretty big gamble, IMHO.

Best of luck on finding a conveniently located flight school with an LSA.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
yozz25

hmm

Post by yozz25 »

Kevin:

I don't know how old you are, but perhaps the first thing you should do is take a day ride out to the nearest sports school, set up a few hours training flight to see how you like it and how you function in cockpit.

I take meds for depression and migraines, so I tested myself before even committing to some sort of program. You have to know your own limitations, so if you have not yet been in cockpit, do so, so you'll have an idea of what you can do. The sports license is definitly for you and with your desire to fly and drive it should be no problem, but gauge yourself first, like in cards, know when to hold and fold.

It's like driving except training is mentally taxing with much multi-tasking but that can be overcome. In driving I know that after some time I just have to pull over and rest, re-hydrate myself, and just chill. If you are in NJ, perhaps you should locate the nearest school, perhaps in long island, maryland, or even in Pa, take a drive out, or however, take a motel for the night, then spend an hour or two up there.

yozz
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Thanks for the advice Yozz. Just so to let you know, I had my very first flight in an small airplane when I was at ACE Camp in August 2008. I officially started SP flying lessons in February 2009 at Essex County Airport (KCDW). I had to stop flying lessons in September 2009 because my flight school closed down and got replaced my another flight school that doesn't offer SP. I did however take one isolated flying lesson in a 172 in January 2010 before I stop completely for now. Last time I flew in an LSA (Evektor Sportstar) was in June 2009. I haven't flown since January 2010.
yozz25

ok

Post by yozz25 »

Well since you know your own limitations, that's good, you have flown, that's better. hmmm.

Still have more questions. Perhaps what you should do is at least now and then just take a spin in a 172 or whatever just to keep a bit fresh.

I guess it depends on the relationship with your parents since I guess you live under their roof, and depending on their take on things, combined with your age, the question is will they give you a hard tiime if you put together your own money and just go for it somewhere.

It's hard to judge since some parents would throw a kid out on the street if they did not like what he/she was up to. Flying to me is not that type of thing, but if you are under 18, it's their rules. I threw my son out because he was a conservative republican. Just kidding.

It depends on their disposition and how much you depend on them for support. They may be a bit more protective of you, I just don't know. But it's normal for parents to say it's a waste to learn this or that. They are just projecting their own world on you, common in the NYC area. Typical of parents to say "whaddya need it for"? Why dontcha get a normal hobby like stamp collecting or somptin"? You know what I mean.

If all is ok, meaning they would simply be displeased, no other dire consequences, then just get a job, focus on saving up a few grand, I would say a min of 5000 to 6000 and carefully pick out a school.

You have the passion, you have the ability, then you need a plan of execution. So simply decide what you want to do, plan it out, then go for it. So get going!

good luck
yozz
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

It depends on their disposition and how much you depend on them for support. They may be a bit more protective of you, I just don't know. But it's normal for parents to say it's a waste to learn this or that. They are just projecting their own world on you...
That reminded me of this, which I thought enough of to scan and keepp:

Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
yozz25

motorcycles/flying

Post by yozz25 »

Interesting Fast Eddie:

Wow, motorcycles. The nurses at the hospital call them "donorcycles". Dangerous stuff in my book, but what do I know, I'm a city kid at heart.

Many people view flying as quite dangerous, it is, but it's about discipline and control, so that is why I guess it would depend on what is going through Kevin's folks mind. Are they afraid for him? Or do they know it is not as dangerous as many think? We really don't know Kevin well, he said he took some lessons.

There are many people out there, don't take meds, have no medical conditions, perfect minds and bodies, who shouldn't fly. They are simply to put it not so politely, klutzes. Just look at the way some people drive on the highway, you'll know them. I think most of them come from California in my neck of the woods.

If my son, who is much older now wanted flying lessons, knowing what I know, I would go to the local school with him and check it out, check out the CFI's and bone up on stats. I would actually watch the lessons from the ground to see what was going on. I'd speak with the CFI, to get a feel for what he is capable of.

Only Kevin and his folks know the real score here, especially Kevin who has to be honest with himself as far as his own limitations goes.

I always wanted to fly, but in late teens was hit by bad depression and migraines, flying then became the last thing on my mind, I knew to even attempt it would be too hazardous at that time and I was just looking for relief from my discomfort. Funny thing, as you age, some things just heal or ease up on you. Hence now is the time to fly.

As for motorcycles, well I'd like to try them, but wife would kill me before the cycle did. Too many a--holes on the road in vegas anyhow, too much booze and too much anger here.

yozz
theoarno

Post by theoarno »

MR KT
Or if you don't mind I will call you N918
Here is what I think and I know some people will think I am being mean but this is it.
Since you asked.

Stop Whining, wait until you are grown up, get a job and pay your own way!

There are at least 7 or 8 guys who post on this forum and at leat 1 million others around america who have done the same thing.

I am 51 years old and am just now learning to fly. Do you think I didn't want to learn to fly when I was 16. That would have been awsome but that spoon wasn't in the silverware drawer, all we had was stainless. But that didn't make me underpriviliged or abused or neglected. It just made me average on that account.

If you wait 4 or 5 years and by then have lost your interest in flying then obviously it wasn't that important to you. But when you are a grown man and pay your own way your parents won't be able to tell you what to do with your time or your money.......and the fruits of your labor will taste all that much better.

Theo