Flight School for >87kts endorsement around Phoenix, AZ?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

MacPara23

Post by MacPara23 »

AZPilot wrote: I doubt that they will let you use an "outside" instructor due to insurance and reasons stated in other threads.

Probably should just use the staff instructor familiar with the aircraft for your transition training. After that, you should be able to rent solo.
That wouldn't be a big deal. I just want to get the >87kts signed off. I'll contact them and see what they say ...
yozz25

target

Post by yozz25 »

AZ wrote:

Have any of your instructors not put a little "target" on the windscreen so that you can make a constant glide angle and have a flare reference

No, of course not.

However went over to local school today and spoke with chief instructor. Told him basically what I said on this board.
Told him I just want to grease some landings, that's all. Don't want any distractions, want a "plan" on landing, want some normalcy.

He agreed that CFI is new, is learning how to teach and over reacted to the birds. He admitted they are new with the remos. He then said why don't I learn it, get the hours and teach it. I said in "another life time"

He suggested that we use only 2 notches of flaps on remos, makes sense to me as to keep airspeed up.

He added that he wished other students would voice their concerns as very few do. I laughed, I said I'm too old to sit and wait for "things to happen", I have to make them happen.

I told him that I understand all of this, but enough is enough. He will speak to CFI, lesson is for tomorrow.

However, as I was leaving, CFI saw me, asked to speak with me. Guess he was wondering what was going on.

I told him what I said here and that there was too much information overload when I am trying to land, we need a plan for a stabilized landing and that he will work the radio as I work the landing, no distractions. Once I get it down pat, then we refine things.

I explained to him that I believe he is afraid of flying with students and I can't blame him. He apologized for reaction to birds, said he was busy looking at gauges and looked up and saw birds and panicked.

I explained from a students point of view sometimes there is just too much overload of info and things have to lighten up when practicing essential manuevers such as landings. Once weak points are taken care of then we can gel the whole package together such as go back to radio when landing.

The chief guy gave me some great tips on landing, and said that he will go up with me if it doesn't improve.

It's not really hard as I see it, it's the distractions I'm getting. I understand the concept of putting a mark on windscreen and keeping it steady on the target.

I use a similar concept, but it's not getting to the spot that is the problem, it's the last five seconds of the scramble of flaring and pulling back on the stick, keeping the craft straight with pedals as we hit. I'm actually pretty good at eyeballing everything just before the flare.

I feel like I'm juggling three bottles at this point, I need to simplify this.

This is what I'm not happy with and what I want to work on. I just need some quiet time to just do it. Once this fiasco is accomplished, then we move on.

As for the glide angle, I use a similar method, guess it would be more of a constant distance of a point on runway in respect to the top of the front console. Once I flare, the fun begins, need some quiet time, CFI is simply a safety net for me at this juncture.

yozz
MacPara23

Re: Flight School for >87kts endorsement around Phoenix,

Post by MacPara23 »

rsteele wrote: Good luck with the RV-12. I saw one for the first time last weekend. It looks like a really sweet plane and it supposed to be about as easy to fly as anything out there. I'm sure you will love it. Going from Remos to RV-12, you will probably want some transition training.

Ron
Oh, sure, I will get transition training when I'm ready to call the DAR, which will be years from now. For now I just want to get the >87kts. endorsement squared away.