Another step closer... I think....

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

gmohr

Another step closer... I think....

Post by gmohr »

I took and passed the written exam today for Sport Pilot. I scored a 97%. I used both Gleim Online ground school and all the Sport Pilot training books to prepare. I took it at a Lasergrade/PSI testing center and was surprised when I was finished in just 13min. Yes.. 13min.. and only 30 questions. When I told the test proctor that something was wrong he replied that these can now be anywhere from 30-70 questions. Where is that written? My AKT report doesn't indicate the number of questions just the passing score and the one question I missed and it says the exam is the Sport Pilot Airplane (SPA)... I DID take the right exam... right?

Gene
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

CONGRATULATIONS on passing your test. Now that the intimidating part is over you can relax and have fun flying and learning. Your checkride will be here before you know it.
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

Wait wait wait - the TEST was the intimidating part? What would you call the checkride? For me that was the most intimidating part... :D
Brian Garrett
[email protected]
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

LOL, the checkride was a piece of cake. I was fortunate enough to have an AWESOME instructor, when he said I was ready I was confident and comfortable with his decision so I was relaxed for the checkride and had a great time. The instructor makes all the difference in the world! A good instructor may be able to teach you how to fly but a GREAT instructor can do it and ensure you have a lot more fun, are more relaxed and a lot more comfortable throughout the entire process.

Thank you to all the great instructors out there who really care about what you do, you make a BIG difference in the life of a student!
gmohr

Post by gmohr »

Well.. my joy has been deflated.. Received a call from LaserGrade that I
have to retake the written... Seems their mistake during their updating of
questions from the FAA cause a glitch.. this in turn is why I only had 30
questions to answer... The have refunded my payment and I can reschedule
for free.. whoopied dooo... oh well.. at least I know that I can pass it.

So.. if you do not received at LEAST 40 questions do not let the test proctor
tell you that it is okay.. that was my mistake.

Would take it tomorrow but I am flying.. next week will have to do.

Gene
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

The anxiety is gone, you have already done it once so the second time will be a piece of cake. Don't give it a second thought, just fly, have fun and retake the test when the time comes. You will do GREAT!
gmohr

Post by gmohr »

I am not sweating this.. I am ticked off because I have to take time off of
work again to take this. I know that I will pass it. I have already done that.
I could have missed all 10 questions they forgot to give me and still passed
the exam. But, this is not the FAA's fault, this is LaserGrade's fault. They
did credit my CC back and I get to take this free of charge. So.. I will take
it again and schedule another couple of hours for flying time.

For those sweating this exam it really is not hard. Most of the answers are
common sense.

Gene
gmohr

I re-took the exam yesterday

Post by gmohr »

I stopped by the testing center after scrubbing my solo cross country due to
weather and re-took the exam. This time I received all 40 questions plus 5
the FAA is trying out. I scored a 93% this time. I will be looking up the
questions areas I missed and will go from here.. Now.. I will continue on
prepping for my oral and check ride. My instructor thinks I will be ready in
about 5 more hours. That will put me at 30hrs. I wonder how anyone does
this in 20hrs?

Gene
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

Much like the PPL the hours listed are the absolute minimums. For a PPL you have to have 40 hours, most actually have closer to 55 or 60 before certification. With the SP I have seen some take as long as 50 or 60 just to be comfortable enough for the checkride. I completed my SP with only 28.8 hours and used three different planes. Using different aircraft extends the amount of time you will need because of the transistion times. People learn at their own pace and it is far more important to ensure your are confident, comfortable and safe rather than the number of hours it takes you to finish. I was very fortunate to have an OUTSTANDING instructor through my training. I have said it before and I will say it again, a GREAT instructor makes all the difference in the world. If you are getting it done in 30 hours I would say you are fortunate as well. Keep up the good work and remember, a pilots license is a license to learn.
theoarno

Post by theoarno »

Good work, 93 is a great score.