Stick or Yoke

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Z06 C5

Stick or Yoke

Post by Z06 C5 »

Hey Guys,

I have been flying a Remos G3 with dual throttles and have about 14 hrs. flying it with my right hand. There was a little mishap with that plane (another student) and it is no more.....

Today the school started flying another Remos G3 but it does not have the dual throttles, I kinda struggle with the winds and crosswind landings even with my right hand (right handed). Today my flying was really sloppy, of course it was with a new instructor, and i found myself trying to switch hands from left to right when I was getting way out of control, which lead to a "drop in landing" because I took my hand off the throttle and wasn't able to react fast enough to get the gas on.

I was told that you fly a stick with your right hand and yoke with the left.
Is that what you guys are doing? Or do most planes have center mount throttle and you just have to fly with your left hand? Because it sure dosn't seem natural to me, its almost like learning to fly all over again.

Or do you guys fly with your right hand and cross your left arm over your body to work the throttle? (Which my new flight instructor said "Don't do that")

It's great to have a plane and resume my lessons, but that left hand on the stick just feels weird.

Thanks, Robert Lewis
SportCubJim

Left or right

Post by SportCubJim »

With a couple of hours of practice you will be just as capable with your left hand. Bottom line is you must have throttle control for the entire landing sequence.
Jim
not2old2fly

Post by not2old2fly »

With just a bit more training you can fly an Airbus and use your outboard hand for the side stick. :lol:
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

Listen to your instructor. You control the throttle with the hand nearest it. You control the stick with the other hand.
scottj

Left or Right

Post by scottj »

Left or Right... you should be able to fly the stick from either seat using your outboard hand on the stick and inboard on the throttle. Never switch hands in mid flight, especially on landing.

If it is that big of a problem, ask your instructor to change seats. There is no law the student has to sit on the left side.
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

Every plane I have flown had a center throttle. I have flown one aircraft, Elitar Sigma, that had a throttle on the left side of the seat as well as the center and I still used the center throttle control. I fly stick and yoke alike, with my left hand. I am right hand dominate but found it took very little time and practice to become proficient with my left. Under 1,000' my right hand doesn't leave the throttle, take off and landings.
Z06 C5

Post by Z06 C5 »

Thanks for the replys, I guess i need to get more practice with my left hand. Sure wish my new plane had the dual throttles...........

I like the idea of flying from the right seat, maybe I'll try that and see how that works for me.
RyanC

Post by RyanC »

I fly a dual-throttle Remos G3 from the left seat with my left hand on the stick and my right hand on the center throttle. My instructor told me to pick whichever felt better and stick with it. Being right-handed, it seemed a little weird at first to have the stick (which requires finer control, methinks) with my left hand but I like the fact that with my right hand on the throttle I can lift an index finger up to the electric flap/trim controls without taking my hand away.

Someday I would like to try flying from the right seat just so I can be confident I could handle it either way...
yozz25

which hand

Post by yozz25 »

In flying the Remos in left seat, I do it with left hand on stick, even though I am right handed. It makes sense, since the main throttle is in the middle, and you need to keep your hand there a lot of the time.

I only use the left throttle when taxing, with right hand on handbrake, but flying, it makes sense to get that left hand on the stick. In a yoke job with throttle in middle, left hand on yoke is the only way to go, unless you are double jointed.

yozz
Z06 C5

Post by Z06 C5 »

Hi guys, a little update. Well, it took about 3 or 4 hours to get comfortable flying with my left hand. Not that big of a deal now. But, that 1st day switching hands was rough, we were doing xwind landings and I am not real good with those just yet. So, the double whammy of flying with my left hand and crosswind landings was almost scary...........

A bit more practice and I will be moving on to "solo" hopefully.

Thanks for the encourging replys,
Robert Lewis
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

Thanks for the update and congratulations on your success. Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress.