Solo'd today 7-18-10

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Z06 C5

Solo'd today 7-18-10

Post by Z06 C5 »

Hi guys, was able to get my 1st solo today.......... Yeah! A slow day at the airport, the controllers weren't going crazy with instructions, and the winds were right down the runway at 4kts.

I was a little restless last night, because my instructor said he wanted me to solo when we flew yesterday. But the whole experience was rather non-eventful, and I mean that in a good way. It was a piece of cake...... The airplane flys better and climbs faster without someone in the right seat. Actually they were the best landings I've made so far, too bad my instructor wasn't there to see them...........LOL. I sure they looked good from the tower.

Going out with my girl tonight and celebrating,

Looking foward to the checkride.

Robert Lewis
gmohr

Post by gmohr »

Congrats Robert!!!.. I solo'ed a month ago and completed my solo cross
country last Thursday. I am now in the process of getting ready for my
check ride which I am hoping to schedule in the next 2 weeks.. This is a big
step for you and I know how you are feeling. Have you taken the written yet?

Oh.. and my landings are always better when my CFI isn't in the plane.

Congrats again,

Genne
David

Post by David »

Congratulations also, I have been taking my time, but just finished my xc. I called to scheduling my check ride and will take it some time after the examiner gets back from Oshkosh.

I see you are from Garland and flying out of Denton. I lived in Garland for many years and now up in the Northeast outside of Philadelphia.

Keep going and have fun!
Bill

Post by Bill »

Congratualtions, Robert. A big event, for sure; and one you will likely remember the rest of your life.

Dang, a looong time ago I rented out of Garland - I believe it was called Redbird Airport back then (1970s). Then I stopped flying for 37 years. Now I'm in the Baltimore area and the beach in Delaware, keep an Ercoupe in Maryland and have been back in the sky for two years.
--
<i>If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.
Selling Personal Checks and Business Checks helps pay for the 'Coupe.</i> :)
--
David

redbird

Post by David »

Bill,

Redbird is just southwest of Dallas - I think? If you decide to fly up my way KPTW - I buy you a cheese steak - great ones close to the airport.
Bill

Re: redbird

Post by Bill »

David wrote:Bill,

Redbird is just southwest of Dallas - I think? If you decide to fly up my way KPTW - I buy you a cheese steak - great ones close to the airport.
I'll try to take you up on that one day. I've flown close to Pottstown Limerick, but never landed there. I've been to (near by) Butter Valley and Chester County a few times each - for a $50 burger run (cheaper in my 'Coupe :D).

In fact, I was at QMS just last Thursday, where I met someone for lunch. Great little restaurant on the field with a good view of their (very active) runway.
--
--
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

CONGRATULATIONS on your first solo. That is something you will never forget and only the first among many great adventures.
Z06 C5

Post by Z06 C5 »

Thanks for all the kind words, guys. I'm kinda of excited about the solo cross country. I am ready to check out some other airports, and get my 1st $100 hamburger. My instructor says Stephenville has some great BBQ about a half mile from the field.

I am trying to fly, 3 times a week. On Fridays, Sat. and Sun. If the weather will stay good. I hope to schedule my check ride in 2 or 3 weeks. And yes, I have passed the knowledge test. I had a 2 month break in my training due to airplane problems, so I got that ground school stuff taken care of. Can't wait to log some PIC time.................

Bill,
Actually there WAS an airport in Garland, it was located at IH635 and Hwy.78. Don't know the name. It was shut down and converted into some soccer fields back around 1974 or so. If you had a sectional from 1970 you would see it.

Kinda funny, because I tell people there used to be an airport there and they don't believe me.
David

enjoy the XC

Post by David »

Your killing me with the BBQ quote, from a Texas Boy stuck in the northeast. Enjoy you trip and have some brisket for me.

LOL David
Bill

Post by Bill »

Oh, yes. That good ol' Texas BBQ is tough to beat. A good brisket or some sauced-up pulled pork are my favorites. Enjoy your cross-countries, Robert - the food is one good reason to go - but the "flying" and seeing new places makes it all worthwhile. :)
--
--
Daidalos

Post by Daidalos »

Congratulations....

Pilots never forget their first solo. It's like having sex for the first time.
Marcus - WA2DCI
PP ASEL Instrument

Daidalos Greek: Δαίδαλος
Remember don't fly too close to the Sun.