Condensed training

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

bshort

Condensed training

Post by bshort »

During my initial phase of instruction, I would fly 2 days a week for 2 hours each day. Now that I'm solo, I seem to be only able to get out once a week for about 1.5 hours. (Work, family, etc..)

I have 40 hours time in and feel that the additional solo time is becoming a waste of time and funds.

The plan I'm considering is scheduling a vacation and using that week as a "cram" session for my check ride. My plan is to get the instructor to ride with me to "fine tune" everything in the beginning of the week with the check ride on Friday.

Any thoughts on this?
SportCubJim

Cramming

Post by SportCubJim »

Talk with your instructor and develop a plan you both feel will accomplish your goal.

Yes, passing is a goal. However, it is just a milepost on the journey.
Jim
bshort

Post by bshort »

Passing is the ultimate goal, however, doing so efficiently ranks right there along side.

For me, excessive solo flights around the pattern and a 25nm circle (although good practice) is boring and generally burning $180 for a 2hr pop.

My goal is to stock up the week before the check ride, pass, and enjoy someone's company on flights out of the 25nm circle of nothing.
bryancobb

EFFICIENCY

Post by bryancobb »

Below is the 100% efficient use of hours toward the Sport Rating.
Red is Dual. Blue is Solo.
Every square represents 1 hour you need to fly.
Anything more than this and you are wasting money and time.
OF COURSE MOST PEOPLE WILL NEED MORE DUAL THAN THIS BUT IF YOU FLY SOLO MORE THAN THE REQUIRED TEN HOURS, YOU ARE LIGHTING A MATCH TO YOUR MONEY.

I took my Private Checkride in 1986, with 40.5 hours in my logbook. I was 25 years old, and started from 0 hours. I soloed in a Tomohawk at 7.0 hours. My CFI (Warren Slagle) used a check-box list like this to make sure I was not wasting time and money. I had gotten an incentive flight in an Air Force F-16b. The Pilot was an FAA CFI too. That 1.3 hours of "DUAL" was logged as SEL and counted in my 40.5 hours. Talk about being efficient!

Any hour I could use to fill 2 or 3 squares, we did that! Example: My hours of required night flight with 10 TO/LDG's was treated as a dual cross country too! We made it >50NM and did 10 full-stop landings at a control towered field.

Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Commercial/Instrument Airplane
Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
dholly

Re: EFFICIENCY

Post by dholly »

bryancobb wrote:Below is the 100% efficient use of hours toward the Sport Rating.
Red is Dual. Blue is Solo.
Every square represents 1 hour you need to fly.
Anything more than this and you are wasting money and time.
OF COURSE MOST PEOPLE WILL NEED MORE DUAL THAN THIS BUT IF YOU FLY SOLO MORE THAN THE REQUIRED TEN HOURS, YOU ARE LIGHTING A MATCH TO YOUR MONEY.
Your 'efficiency chart' appears to show a requirement of 10 hours dual and 10 hours solo. As I understand, individuals seeking the sport pilot certificate as their initial pilot certificate in the Airplane category and Single Engine Land/Sea class must receive minimum flight experience of 20 hours total to include at least 15 hours dual instruction.
-Kitfox Model IV-1200 TD 912ul Hammerhead Spring / Aerocet 1000 Amphibs (flying)
-Aeropro CV Aerotrek A240 Tri-gear 912uls ELSA (fixing)
-Airdale Avid+ Speedwing TD (building)
-Kitfox Model III TD (R.I.P.)
-Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)
bryancobb

You are RIGHT!

Post by bryancobb »

Thanks,

I had the FAR open right in front of my face when I was doing the list and I STILL SCREWED IT UP!!
I'll correct it soon.
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Commercial/Instrument Airplane
Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
scottj

Training Plans

Post by scottj »

I did not see the words "PTS" Practical Test Standards in anyone's reply. The objective is to create a pilot who meets, and exceeds, the PTS. Not how many hours he has... some people take 20, 40, 100+ hours to be ready.

Pull out the PTS and ask yourself if you can perform each item. When the answer is yes to each question...you are ready for the Practical Exam.

Don't forget to prep for the Oral Exam as well as the flight test. All flights start on the ground...

Good luck, and enjoy this part of your aviation training.
Flight training begins on the ground, not in the air.℠
2011 FAASTeam Representative of the Year, Great Lakes Region
http://www.SticknRudder.com
zdc

Re: Training Plans

Post by zdc »

scottj wrote:I did not see the words "PTS" Practical Test Standards in anyone's reply. The objective is to create a pilot who meets, and exceeds, the PTS. Not how many hours he has... some people take 20, 40, 100+ hours to be ready.

Pull out the PTS and ask yourself if you can perform each item. When the answer is yes to each question...you are ready for the Practical Exam.

Don't forget to prep for the Oral Exam as well as the flight test. All flights start on the ground...

Good luck, and enjoy this part of your aviation training.
Agree, you train to meet the PTS. I think the purpose of the previous post with the chart is to stay on top of your training and not be complacent. Some instructors who are full time ,are building hours, and have a hard time just meeting living expenses, will take you for a ride. I can't hardly blame these instructors for trying to get as much time as possible, but as a student, I would only want to pay for what I need.
ArionAv8or

Re: Training Plans

Post by ArionAv8or »

zdc wrote:Agree, you train to meet the PTS. I think the purpose of the previous post with the chart is to stay on top of your training and not be complacent. Some instructors who are full time ,are building hours, and have a hard time just meeting living expenses, will take you for a ride. I can't hardly blame these instructors for trying to get as much time as possible, but as a student, I would only want to pay for what I need.
+1, very well put.