Miscellaneous Cost for the Sport Pilot License

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

N918KT

Miscellaneous Cost for the Sport Pilot License

Post by N918KT »

Guys, I want to know how much do the following things cost. If possible, how much does it cost in NJ to get these things:

Student Sport Pilot Certificate-I read somewhere a long time ago on the Internet that these things usually cost like $50 or something around that. Is that true?

An Avemco $5,000 deductible aircraft rental insurance premium: How much does it cost for me every year to get that type of insurance? Aero Safety Training owner told me that I need that before I can solo in the 162.

Sport Pilot Knowledge Test Fee

Sport Pilot Checkride Fee

These things are the only things I don't know how much they cost. I'm just trying to predict the total cost for my SP training.

Also please tell me what you guys think of my second flight lesson in the 162. I got it posted already for you guys to read.

http://sportpilottalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=2136

Thanks!!!
Jon V

Re: Miscellaneous Cost for the Sport Pilot License

Post by Jon V »

N918KT wrote:Guys, I want to know how much do the following things cost. If possible, how much does it cost in NJ to get these things:

Student Sport Pilot Certificate-I read somewhere a long time ago on the Internet that these things usually cost like $50 or something around that. Is that true?
Mine cost about an hour. No cash changed hands. I just called the local FSDO, got some instructions, filled out a few forms online, and went in to show my ID and get the laser-printed certificate.

N918KT wrote: An Avemco $5,000 deductible aircraft rental insurance premium: How much does it cost for me every year to get that type of insurance? Aero Safety Training owner told me that I need that before I can solo in the 162.
It needs to be Avemco? I don't know as I've never done business with that company.
N918KT wrote: Sport Pilot Knowledge Test Fee
I think it's up to $150 now. You may be able to get a $10 discount with AOPA membership.
N918KT wrote: Sport Pilot Checkride Fee
I've heard that budgeting $500 is safe.
drseti

Re: Miscellaneous Cost for the Sport Pilot License

Post by drseti »

N918KT wrote:Student Sport Pilot Certificate
You can have the student pilot certificate issued by the nearest FAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) for free, but you need to make an appointment, and fill out your form 8710-11 in advance (online using IACRA -- your CFI should help you through the process). Or, they can be issued by any Designated Pilot Examiner, and those guys are free to set whatever fee they wish. My students typically pay $20 to one of the local DPEs.
An Avemco $5,000 deductible aircraft rental insurance premium:
You actually have three choices for renter's insurance: AOPA, EAA, and Avemco. Their prices are all pretty similar. The exact cost varies, depending upon how much liability insurance you choose to carry, and how much physical damage coverage you want. At a minimum, get liability insurance equal to your net worth (so if you're sued, you won't be out of pocket), and hull coverage sufficient to cover your flight school's deductible, for which you would be responsible in the event of aircraft damage. Minimum liability offered is typically $25,000 per person, $250,000 per accident, and costs around $95/yr. $5,000 aircraft damage coverage is around $120/yr. So, at a minimum, you're talking $215/yr to protect yourself. See my website http://AvSport.org/askdr/index.html#renters_insurance for more on this topic.
Sport Pilot Knowledge Test Fee
LaserGrade tetsing centers now charge $150 (up from $100 last year...)
Sport Pilot Checkride Fee
DPEs are independent contractors, thus free to set their own fees. The one my students use charges $350 for a practical test if you come to his home airport, plus an additional $100 travel expenses if he comes to us.
I'm just trying to predict the total cost for my SP training. !
Good luck with that! It's a little like trying to predict which horse is going to win the Derby... Too many variables.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US