ppl training question

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Dangeruss

ppl training question

Post by Dangeruss »

I've decided to go for the ppl instead of spl, and since you Guys are such well versed and valuable aviation resource (for the most part) I thought I would throw this question out. I'm about ready to solo, but I'm not sure what comes next. In what order am I supposed to complete these; Medical, then written exam, then contact dpe for student cert.? And then finish IACRA paperwork with faa? Idk, any advice/opinions would be great.
when do we eat?
Jim Stewart

Re: ppl training question

Post by Jim Stewart »

Here's the requirements for solo flight, straight from the FAR. The FAR isn't just a big blue book, it's your aviation bible. Start looking things up in it now.

http://www.flightsimaviation.com/data/F ... 61-87.html
PP-ASEL, Flight Design CTSW owner.
Dangeruss

Post by Dangeruss »

Yea, thanks. The lack of clarity within this section of the FAR is the specific reason for my question.
when do we eat?
drseti

Post by drseti »

The AME will issue you a student pilot certificate along with your medical. You need not take the FAA knowledge test before solo, but your CFI will have to give you a brief written exam.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

If you have to ask us this question, you need to get a new CFI.
You need a 3rd class or better medical to exercise the privileges of a student certificate. 61.23.
Your CFI must administer to you a test per 61.87(b) on various things and must review the answers with you before you can solo. This is a written test, but is not the "written" that we talk about when we use that term.
Before you go for your "check ride" you have to take and pass the "written".
The "written" is the knowledge test. Take it at a designated testing station. Your ground instructor, CFI or other will have to endorse you to take the test. The DPE will go over it, especially incorrect answers, during the "oral" portion of the "checkride".
The "checkride" is the practical test, which the DPE administers according to the Practical Test Standard (PTS).
I have done few operations regarding IACRA, so I am going to defer on that. You and your CFI have to fill out some entries on that before you take the practical test.
Advice - know what you are doing when you fill out the medical paperwork. I'd recommend you go over to the Pilots Of America web site and ask in the Medical Section about anything you be aware of. You can just breeze through that section to get a feel for how one can make an innocent mistake the messes up you. Number one, don't lie on the form. Number two, don't self-diagnose. Number three - go to POA and learn about it.
Advice - the FAA handbooks online are excellent and free.
Advice - get and refer to the PTS for your airplane - it is the task, condition and standard to which you will be held. FAA online, free.
Advice - your CFI should have some form of syllabus. Between it and the PTS you should have a good feel for what you are doing. The syllabus should be in writing to the extent that you can both refer to it - doesn't have to be a tome.
Advice - Take the "written" as soon as is practicable because it will broaden your knowledge of what you are doing in various maneuvers. Don't get hung up on doing it instantly, but do go ahead and get on it.
Dangeruss

Post by Dangeruss »

Great, this is all good info, I will review the faa handbooks and check out the POA website you mentioned. However, I will not likely be looking for a new instructor since mine is great. But, thanks for the critical condescension anyway.

My Flight school requires that I take "the" written knowledge exam prior to flying solo.
when do we eat?
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

Dangeruss wrote:Great, this is all good info, I will review the faa handbooks and check out the POA website you mentioned. However, I will not likely be looking for a new instructor since mine is great. But, thanks for the critical condescension anyway.

My Flight school requires that I take "the" written knowledge exam prior to flying solo.
Well, then, why did you ask? Even if you take the knowledge test before solo, you still have to take a pre-solo exam.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Dangeruss wrote:thanks for the critical condescension
In fact, I happen to agree with Jim. Any professional and proficient flight instructor should be teaching more than just airplane driving skills. He or she should be trying to help the student over the hurdles of the certification process. That said, we're always happy to answer your questions here, to the extent that we're able.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Dangeruss

Post by Dangeruss »

very well, fair enough. I asked simply because I was unsure on the specific sequence of events involving the medical, written exam, contacting DPE, and completing IACRA, in hopes of gaining some understanding prior to my next flight.
when do we eat?
drseti

Post by drseti »

In fact, I developed a flowchart to guide students through the process:

http://avsport.org/graphics/flowchart.pdf

This one was tailored to the Sport Pilot rating, so it doesn't include the FAA medical (you can insert that into the "get student pilot certificate" box). And, I failed to include the IACRA application process. But I suppose I could come up with a more complete version, tweaked for the Private Pilot rating. Actually, a more serious version of a flowchart is probably something all CFIs should provide.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ka7eej

Post by ka7eej »

Dang,

You did not mention what Airplane you are training in or plan to use for your solo... If it is qualifies under Light Sport rules you do not need a medical first... Any one disagree.. Just because you are going for a PPL does not mean you cannot first solo in a Light Sport Airplane with out a medical..
If you are denied on the medical you cannot become a Private Pilot or a Sport Pilot untill you can pass it.. DO NOT ATTEMPT A MEDICAL IF THERE IS ANY DOUBT THAT YOU CAN PASS!!!!!

If not Light Sport..... Yes what they said......

O by the way this is the SPORTPILOTTALK.COM forum.... just sayin''
Brian
Owner of N3081X (Cover Girl) A Beautiful Allegro 2000 as seen on the cover and inside of several magazines!!
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

ka7eej wrote:Dang,

You did not mention what Airplane you are training in or plan to use for your solo... If it is qualifies under Light Sport rules you do not need a medical first... Any one disagree.. Just because you are going for a PPL does not mean you cannot first solo in a Light Sport Airplane with out a medical..
If you are denied on the medical you cannot become a Private Pilot or a Sport Pilot untill you can pass it.. DO NOT ATTEMPT A MEDICAL IF THERE IS ANY DOUBT THAT YOU CAN PASS!!!!!

If not Light Sport..... Yes what they said......

O by the way this is the SPORTPILOTTALK.COM forum.... just sayin''
Brian
61.23 says you need a third class medical to be a student pilot. You can only use you drivers license in place of a medical if you are seeking a sport pilot rating in a light sport aircraft.
mhaleem

Post by mhaleem »

Dangeruss why not complete the sport pilot certificate (get an accomplishment under your belt) and continue on with the private after that. I'm assuming you are going to do the private at the same school where you began sport training so you shouldn't get a run-around as far as convincing another instructor who is anti-sport pilot regarding your logged flight time/experience. Some of these shady schools attempt to make one start over in order to milk money from the student. I know when I pursued the private, long before sport was in existence, life got in the way (monies, wife, kids, etc.) I did eventually get my private, but it would have been nice to have earned a license with less time and money requirements and fly my tail off while waiting for funds to present themselves for a private pilot rating. Just a suggestion; you may be in a better financial position than I was as a student and if this is the case go full speed ahead towards the private. Good luck in your pursuits.
Tuskegee U Alum
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote:You can only use you drivers license in place of a medical if you are seeking a sport pilot rating in a light sport aircraft.
Tom, there's absolutely no reason why our friend can't be seeking a sport pilot rating in an LSA, fly through first solo (with a driver's license medical), and then change his mind and go for the private. :wink:
mhaleem wrote:Dangeruss why not complete the sport pilot certificate (get an accomplishment under your belt) and continue on with the private after that.
In fact, that's what I encourage my students to do (if they can fit in, and like training in, an LSA anyway). The advantage is that they get licensed sooner (and cheaper), can then fly as PIC, pretty much anywhere they want, with a single passenger, as renter pilots. They can fly for fun, build time, gain confidence and experience, and 100% of their training and solo time will count toward the Private, when they feel ready to pursue that. It can even save them a bit of money, because while flying for fun, they can knock off all the PP solo requirements (including the long XC) without needing a supervising instructor. My SP curriculum is a subset of PP training, and the SP PTS requirements are a subset of the PP ones, so nothing is wasted.

I even have my PP add-on curriculum divided into short modules (airspace, night flying, VOR navigation, survival instrument training, etc.) that the candidate can take one at a time, at his or her convenience, without having to commit to a full PP course.

The only down side of this is that they end up paying for two written tests (the local testing center charges $150 for each one), and two checkrides (maybe $300 to $500 each, depending upon the DPE the student chooses). That added cost is partially offset by the fact the student is flying for fun anyway, as a Sport Pilot, which can shorten considerably the additional dual needed for the PP.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

drseti wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:You can only use you drivers license in place of a medical if you are seeking a sport pilot rating in a light sport aircraft.
Tom, there's absolutely no reason why our friend can't be seeking a sport pilot rating in an LSA, fly through first solo (with a driver's license medical), and then change his mind and go for the private. :wink:
mhaleem wrote:Dangeruss why not complete the sport pilot certificate (get an accomplishment under your belt) and continue on with the private after that.
In fact, that's what I encourage my students to do (if they can fit in, and like training in, an LSA anyway). The advantage is that they get licensed sooner (and cheaper), can then fly as PIC, pretty much anywhere they want, with a single passenger, as renter pilots. They can fly for fun, build time, gain confidence and experience, and 100% of their training and solo time will count toward the Private, when they feel ready to pursue that. It can even save them a bit of money, because while flying for fun, they can knock off all the PP solo requirements (including the long XC) without needing a supervising instructor. My SP curriculum is a subset of PP training, and the SP PTS requirements are a subset of the PP ones, so nothing is wasted.

I even have my PP add-on curriculum divided into short modules (airspace, night flying, VOR navigation, survival instrument training, etc.) that the candidate can take one at a time, at his or her convenience, without having to commit to a full PP course.

The only down side of this is that they end up paying for two written tests (the local testing center charges $150 for each one), and two checkrides (maybe $300 to $500 each, depending upon the DPE the student chooses). That added cost is partially offset by the fact the student is flying for fun anyway, as a Sport Pilot, which can shorten considerably the additional dual needed for the PP.
I did not know that you can do the PPL solo requirements when flying as a certificated sport pilot.