How Do You Climb

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

designrs

How Do You Climb

Post by designrs »

Not specifically a training question... but a flying technique question:

Say you are at cruise and you want to climb from 3,500 to 7,500 feet.
Chugging all that way up at that altitude at 65 kts is no fun and seems to labor the engine a bit.
I've been climbing in steps. Climbing at over 1,200 ft/min until the airspeed drops down to about 65 kts, then leveling off until airspeed increases to about 90 kts, then repeat the climb.

It is more enjoyable and seems to be easier on the motor.
Comments?
BrianL99

Re: How Do You Climb

Post by BrianL99 »

designrs wrote:Not specifically a training question... but a flying technique question:

Say you are at cruise and you want to climb from 3,500 to 7,500 feet.
Chugging all that way up at that altitude at 65 kts is no fun and seems to labor the engine a bit.
I've been climbing in steps. Climbing at over 1,200 ft/min until the airspeed drops down to about 65 kts, then leveling off until airspeed increases to about 90 kts, then repeat the climb.

Comments?

I guess it all depends on what you're flying. I was always taught that 500'/minute is the typical climb/descent rate in most GA aircraft. It will usually allow you a decent view over the cowling and keep your passengers comfortable. As you climb higher, your rate will surely decrease from 500'/min.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

In my mind it isn't a question of how it feels to the pilot but rather the plane. E.g. my flights are typically cross-country so I'm comfortable giving airspeed a priority over reaching my planned altitude as my basic goal is getting from A to B efficiently/safely. (Being a flatlander here in FL, rising terrain isn't usually a factor). But more importantly, on hot days my Tiger's Lycoming is treated more kindly if CHT's remain below 400F so it's for that reason I'll usually cruise climb at 100 kts or a bit more. This becomes especially important to us when flying out west with high DA's.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

designrs wrote: I've been climbing in steps. Climbing at over 1,200 ft/min until the airspeed drops down to about 65 kts, then leveling off until airspeed increases to about 90 kts, then repeat the climb.

Comments?
If it's enjoyable, have fun!

But unlikely the engine cares much, as long as temps stay out of the red.

Remember, parasitic drag increases as the square of the increase in velocity. So those repeated jaunts up to 90k will make it take longer to get to altitude than just settling on a speed and holding it. As will any excursion above or below best rate, of course - by definition.

That said, nothing wrong with doing the entire climb at 90k if you're satisfied with the resulting climb rate. Even 250 fpm will get you to cruising altitude in a reasonable amount of time.

And you need to factor in the winds aloft. If there's a nice tailwind up high, it makes sense to get there as quickly as possible.

And don't forget getting above low-level turbulence - makes sense to get above it as rapidly as possible.

My Sky Arrow lists best climb as 65k at SL and 60k above 5,000'. That's got to be a very rough approximation, since best rate drops with altitude incrementally, not in stages.

In any case, once safely clear of terrain I usually climb between 70k and 80k, giving up some climb rate for better cooling and quicker progress towards my destination, factoring in those items mentioned earlier.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

Its common for me to have to climb to 11,000'+. It is almost always windy in this part of the sierra so I tend to configure for cruise or cruise/climb and head for a ridge the will provide the needed lift.

I usually keep my TAS above 100kts.

If I fly to sea level and have a 10,000'+ climb that doesn't begin in the mountains I climb at 90kts if there is terrain ahead I speed up as soon as I see that I will clear it by a comfortable margin.

In my CT I favor speed over climb.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

CTLSi wrote:If flying cross country you are regulation bound to adhere to the hemispheric rule - odd+500 east, even+500 west.

You will want to climb to your cruising altitude as soon as possible and activate your flight plan as soon as you reach the altitude that allows radio contact with FSS.

Other than that, climb at the airspeed that gets you there the fastest while not pushing oil temps to extremes.
I regularly fly from Mammoth to Van Nuys and am never subject to the hemispheric rule. That's 400 nm. The as soon as possible doesn't apply either, a long high speed climb or descent is not prohibited.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Thank you all for the replies.
As a new pilot, without a lot of cross-country time, I appreciate the perspectives.
Personally, I needed to apply more of the gradual climb which I never really did much of, when applicable of course.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

Check out this dissertation regarding Vz, a climb speed that allegedly maximizes efficiency.

http://www.seqair.com/benchmark/Howell/Norman.html

Haven't tried it yet, but for my Luscombe Vz works out to about 90 mph. I know my Luscombe will climb at 85, especially when not quite trimmed for level flight. :mrgreen: I admit the rate of climb is low, but you maintain better groundspeed than when at best rate.

One of these days I'll have to do a timed trial to 7500'. Never been that high as PIC.
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

SportPilot wrote:you are the one that said hurry up to altitude because of the hemispheric rule. I have been well aware of the hemishperic rule for over 50 years. It hasn't changed. It does not apply while climbing or descending, so as usual, you are wrong.
It also does not apply if you are 3,000 feet or less above the surface.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator