Buying your own plane for training

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

rcpilot

Re: Buying your own plane for training

Post by rcpilot »

Well today was interesting. I had what I believe is my first ground lesson. We sat in the cockpit and went over charts. Prominent landmarks, airspace, and noted restrictions. Also went through the POH looking at various speeds, normal and soft field takeoff and landing distances, climb rates at various altitudes and expected speeds at various power settings. All this in getting ready for the x-country. After about an hour of this we went flying. He had me do a soft field takeoff(I still need practice) and then we flew around. He tested my ability to follow requested headings, looking at landmarks and comparing them to the sectional then he had me close my eyes and he piloted around in a circuitous fashion, then let me take controls and figure out where we were based on landmarks and the chart. There were some light towers about and I was able to finally figure it out. I then flew us back to the airport and he had me do a short field landing. I was supposed to touch down on the first strip but landed on the numbers again (should have held the power for a bit more). He said it would have been passable but more practice will be needed. Tomorrow some of the same, doing flight plans and charts and some takeoffs and landings if time permits. Then I'll have homework. Yikes. Well, I have vacation so there will be time to do it. Doesn't look like my third supervised solo is going to happen till I get back from vacation.
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Well, another not your quite your typical lesson. Initially we were going to meet at 5PM but I checked my schedule at work and figured I could leave earlier and meet at 4. He said good because it's probably going to be a 3 hour lesson. :shock: The sky was kind of threatening when the lesson started so I didn't think we'd get any flying in. He brought some navigation logs and flight planning worksheets. Went over how they're used then we got out the sectional and started doing some samples. Showed me how to use the plotter, what to try and use as check points, etc. We then did a complete flight plan including winds, course, time in route, altitude, fuel burn, etc. This used up 2 hours. It started to rain a little bit so we were sitting in the plane and he decides we can go up. Of course I ask if it's OK being there is some rain and he points out as long as the ceiling is OK, there's no thunderstorms, it's not very windy flying in a little rain is OK. Off we go again I got to try a short field takeoff. We fly around doing a little pilotage and then we go back to the airport where he has me demonstrate a simulated engine out close to the airport. So we have to do some rather tight turns to bleed off altitude. We do a couple of these and then we're done. Next week I'm on vacation so after that we'll probably have a couple more general lessons before we plan the x-country. My homework is to fill out the navigation log for another trip (which somehow seems to me that that's where he's going to want me to do my solo x-country).
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

Sounds like you're making great progress. Looking forward to hearing the details of the xc!
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Well, after a week of vacation back to work today. Did some more x-country planning and then short field takeoffs and landings. A little gusty today so I didn't get my last supervised solo in. According to my instructor my landings were to PTS standards although a couple were nothing I'd write home about. :D Hopefully I'll get a chance this week to do my last supervised solo. In any case looks like if the weather cooperates, next week should be the dual and solo x-countries. Then, lots of practice. 8)
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

Sounds like you're getting closer and closer. Do you have a copy of the Practical Test Standards book? I'm assuming you do, but if not, you should get a copy.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 10.07.18 PM.jpeg
Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 10.07.18 PM.jpeg (57.2 KiB) Viewed 3226 times
drseti

Post by drseti »

It's also available for free online, as a PDF from faa.gov.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

drseti wrote:It's also available for free online, as a PDF from faa.gov.
Yeah my instructor was looking it up on his phone as we were flying.
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

More x-country prep today. Pilotage and dead reckoning. He had me partially follow a flight plan I made for practice. We did a soft field takeoff and then we practiced short field landings on an actual short field, surrounded by trees. Some more pilotage and landings including a forward slip. Doesn't look like the x-countries will be next week because of my instructor's schedule. Hoping to at least get my last supervised solo in so if nothing else I can build my solo time up.
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

More of the same today. It was a bit windy, 14 knots with initially, 22 knot gusts. My instructor suggested that on a day like today I probably shouldn't fly and I agree. Also said if the practical were on a day like today I should reschedule. Practiced following the GPS. Looks like only one lesson next week and maybe, maybe, my last supervised solo. We'll see how it goes.
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

Has there been any talk of scheduling a check ride in the next 3-4 weeks?

Usually the DPE has to be scheduled well in advance, so your CFI will start talking about scheduling that when he thinks you are getting close.
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Cluemeister wrote:Has there been any talk of scheduling a check ride in the next 3-4 weeks?

Usually the DPE has to be scheduled well in advance, so your CFI will start talking about scheduling that when he thinks you are getting close.
We haven't talked about actually scheduling it yet. Probably won't until we at least complete the x-country. once that's done I'll just need to practice and get my solo time up. We still haven't gone over what I got wrong on the written test either.
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

last nights lesson was takeoffs and landings. Specifically he wanted me to keep on the centerline. Of course we had a little bit of a gusty crosswind. First we did a normal full stop landing. Then he took the controls and this time he just flew in ground effect over the runway demonstrating how to keep the plane over the centerline. Making minor adjustments using ailerons and rudder. Then I got to do it 4 times. He said I made considerable improvement and he was satisfied. So the rest of the week he will be out of town on his regular job. I asked about next week. Looks like my dual and solo x-country will be to Westerly in RI. He doesn't want me flying to an airport I haven't landed at before. Ok I can understand that from an instructor standpoint but at some point I'll have to do that so I would think it better to do it while the instructor is overseeing things. Then he tells me his charter job might get a client that will keep him busy all Summer. :shock: Geez. Well, I tell him at least let me get my third supervised solo in. He doesn't think it's going to happen but if it did I'd have to figure out how to get a replacement as I'm not going to put off the rest of my training another 2 months even though technically I'd be able to solo. So looks like next lesson might be Saturday and my x-countries will be next week.
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

And, after reading Cluemeister's post, I asked my instructor about the x-country requirements. He agrees that 75nm total and at least one leg 25nm. He also believes that flying to just one other airport, provided the total mileage is met, is OK but that most instructors usually do 3 leg x-countries. He said he'll check with the DPE he plans on using to make sure he's OK with our planned flight.
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Well I'm bummed. Was supposed to have a lesson today. Instructor calls me and tells me it's too windy, especially since this was supposed to be my last supervised solo. So, we're going to try and get in my last supervised solo, dual and solo x-country flights next week. Not sure how that's going to work out since Monday is a holiday, Tuesday looks like rain and Wednesday and Thursday I have prior obligations at my usual lesson time which means we'd have to fly earlier in the day and I'm not sure I can get off work. Hopefully I'll get some flying in next week.
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

Hey rc, sorry about these delays. It will all work out in the end.