Practice Tests

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

foresterpoole

Re: Practice Tests

Post by foresterpoole »

I checked 61.313 and you are correct! I was using the AOPA as a quick reference, it appears they have not made a needed distinction on their website. If I read 61.313 correctly 3 hours only applies for glider pilots, 2 hours for single engine land/sea. Thanks for pointing that out!

https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/advocacy- ... port-pilot
Ed
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Actually for glider pilots it is 3 flights. This time of year that may only be an hour of flight time, depending on where you are located.
joey4420

Post by joey4420 »

Just got back from taking my Knowledge test for Sport and got an 88, I missed 5 questions (all 5 I had not seen in any of the 20 prep tests I have taken).
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE
joey4420

Post by joey4420 »

Nothing wrong with not taking a practice test, I learned the info via the Sporty's video series as well as reading the FAR AIM and the PHAK and Aviation Weather. Practice tests just help strengthen the knowledge in my opinion. Take advantage of every learning opportunity.
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

eyeflygps wrote:I agree. The practice test is good if you learn the material first. Some people (and instructors) just try to memorize the answers, which is not good.
That is exactly why the FAA changed how they do the knowledge test.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Ed, I think the reason Tom asked if you were doing Sport Pilot was in response to your reference to 3 hours of checkride prep. For SP, only two hours within the prior 2 calendar months is required (though you can of course get as much extra dual as you want or need).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

I realized that it was 2 not three, I looked at the AOPA website and it said 3 hours. After reading the actual statue it's 2. I used Sporty's for my test prep and studying for the UAS test helped immensely as well since airspace, sectionals, and weather where pretty much the same material. A friend is a CFI and he guided me/quized me along the way until he was confident I knew the material and signed for the logbook endorsement. I got off cheap, a nice bottle of wine is all I owed him. The practice tests helped me judge where I needed to study harder or where my knowledge was lacking, that was a good guide.

All in all, I was expecting more material on flight planning and weather. I guess 40 questions is not a lot considering the breath of material so they have to pick and choose.
Ed