Finally soloed!!

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Half Fast

Finally soloed!!

Post by Half Fast »

Finally soloed in a Tecnam Bravo at X04 (Apopka, FL) this morning. It's been a struggle because my CFIs keep going to the airlines. I'm on instructor number four now (and the third one to tell me I was ready to solo once we had good weather).

It's been frustrating. I'd get to the point of being ready, we'd get blown out for a week or two, the CFI would quit, and I'd end up going a month or so without flying. Rinse and repeat. Feels good to finally get there.

Three full stops. First was great, smooth and straight. Second was okay, but a bit off center and could have been a hair straighter. Third was perfectly straight and straddling the centerline, but just a little hard. All three were acceptable and safe, though, so I'm happy. A great day!

Pic attached. I'm the old ugly guy in blue.
Attachments
Solo 1.JPG
Solo 1.JPG (93.16 KiB) Viewed 7105 times
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
rcpilot

Re: Finally soloed!!

Post by rcpilot »

Congrats!
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

You are not that old but you are ugly ( but keep in mind that as far as I am concerned, pretty much all guys ARE ugly )

Congratulations.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

Warmi wrote:You are not that old but you are ugly ( but keep in mind that as far as I am concerned, pretty much all guys ARE ugly )

Congratulations.
Thanks!

For a little perspective, my CFI is a year younger than my youngest kid. He has remarkable patience in dealing with us old farts.
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Maybe we should have an old farts fly-in. 8)
joey4420

Post by joey4420 »

Congrats... I so loved my solo, remember it like it was Saturday :lol: Oh it was..
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

rcpilot wrote:Maybe we should have an old farts fly-in. 8)
Complete with vendor tents displaying canes, walkers, hearing aids, walk-in bathtubs,...
1/2
----------------
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

When I was 16 ... I remember 30 year olds seemed "old" to me ... now when I am in my mid 40s, this line has shifted considerably ... so how do we know we are old ? :)
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

Warmi wrote:When I was 16 ... ... so how do we know we are old ? :)

Old is when you're watching a Gilligan's Island rerun and somebody asks "Ginger or Mary Ann?" and your answer is "Mrs. Howell!"
1/2
----------------
pjdavis

Post by pjdavis »

Congrats! I would join you all for the Fly-in today - but I am getting an injection in my back today! Old farts earn the right to have 3 bad discs!

PJ
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

rcpilot wrote:Maybe we should have an old farts fly-in. 8)
Is not "old farts fly-in" redundant?"

But seriously, Ed, congratulations. Getting a pilot's license is as much a test of perseverance as anything else.

Time to start planning your first cross-country to Copperhill!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

FastEddieB wrote:
But seriously, Ed, congratulations. Getting a pilot's license is as much a test of perseverance as anything else.

In that case, raising two kids was probably good preparation....
1/2
----------------
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

Awesome! I feel your pain, I just had to switch CFI's because my first one started instructing helicopters in another city and his schedule and mine just don't mix anymore. Hoping we can work something out, but for the time being I'm flying with a different kid. He's 10 years younger than I am and I'm 36!
Ed
RTK

Post by RTK »

Half Fast, enjoy the excitement from your accomplishment of flying solo! And let that carry forward into your continued training and solo cross country! At this point, given that you've solo'd, you are now a PILOT! :D

Congratulations!