Optimal pattern for training

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

JAM_MAN

Optimal pattern for training

Post by JAM_MAN »

I've started practicing pattern flying with my FI and touch and go. We fly off a short field dirt strip but practice at a county airfield with a 150' wide 8,000 ft. Strip that also has military training flights in the pattern (mostly parachute drops from 15,000 and the drop planes fly @5,000 downwind). My FI has me flying what seem to inexperienced me as short pattern legs, resulting in almost (maybe 10 sec of base) a continuous turn from base to final. The stated reason issues to not interfere with other traffic, which is actually not frequent. There is little GA at this field.

I'm confident that most of my anxiety is inexperience, but wondering if a less abbreviated pattern would allow more time for learning turns and alignment. The Aerotek aka Eurofox is well behaved but does require coordinated turns, of course very important at slower airspeeds.
3Dreaming

Re: Optimal pattern for training

Post by 3Dreaming »

Each airplane is different. From what you describe I would guess that you are flying a power off approach. As long as you are not rushed and diving for the runway I suspect that the pattern you are flying is OK. The important thing is blending in with other traffic at the airport.
JAM_MAN

Post by JAM_MAN »

Power to 3,000 rpm (912ULS) abreast the numbers on downwind pitch for 80 mph, slower after turning base. After base, power as (if) needed. I do feel rushed, I suspect primarily because of low hours and fearing uncoordinated flight at slow speed on the base to final turn. Obviously the very experienced FI is fine with it. It's more the learning aspect that I'm dealing with.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

For now, I'd suggest following your instructor's lead. Things will seem less rushed as you gain experience.

All thing being equal, a tighter pattern is safer, keeping the runway within gliding range if something goes wrong.

The Law Of Primacy will make you tend to favor techniques that are learned first. If you get comfortable with tight patterns now, there's an excellent chance you'll fly patterns that way for the rest of your flying career. And one day you may be very glad you did.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
JAM_MAN

Post by JAM_MAN »

Very good point! Thanks.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Keep the ball centered (step on the ball) and maintain proper airspeed and you'll be fine. Add power if you are getting low, unless you are coming in too fast. In that case, you may be able to simply raise the nose a little.
Retired from flying.