Gleim Sport Pilot Home Study - my procedure

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

TimTaylor

Re: Gleim Sport Pilot Home Study - my procedure

Post by TimTaylor »

I always read the books and tried to learn and remember the information. I'm not sure I ever took any practice test. It's been a while.
Retired from flying.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

I tried to use Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and Airplane Flying Handbook and found them far too general to be useful for Sport Pilot Knowledge Test prep, although they do provide a solid overall aviation information base. The first time I prepped for the test, I used King Schools test prep, 95%. This September I had to take the test again, used Sportys Online test prep, scored 93%.
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

I skimmed through the other materials but have been concentrating on the Knowledge Test Pep manual. I WILL thoroughly read all the materials once the written test hurdle is passed and of course as part of my formal flight training syllabus.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
bornstephen

Post by bornstephen »

Last edited by bornstephen on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

No doubt there's merit in that approach as well. I know it while be while before I am able to begin flight instruction ($$$ have to be saved up) so I'll have plenty of time to cover all the Gleim printed materials.
drseti

Post by drseti »

HAPPYDAN wrote:I tried to use Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and Airplane Flying Handbook and found them far too general to be useful for Sport Pilot Knowledge Test prep
The PHAK and AFH were never intended to serve as knowledge test prep materials, so much as background reading to reinforce flight instruction.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

Kind of an 'update' -rough time losing sufficient body weight and continued poverty have kept me away from actual flight time with an instructor - Today I got the email 'reminder' from Gleim that my online FAA Test Prep subscription is expiring soon and a renewal will be a not insubstantial $55. Oh well, nobody ever said that flying was a hobby for those without a thick wallet.
joey4420

Post by joey4420 »

Renewal? That stinks. I purchased the Sporty's online PPL course even thought I was going for sport (it included both) it may have cost a bit more, but it is lifetime (not sure if my lifetime or theirs).
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

On a related note, it feels like I was on my first airplane ride in a small plane just a few months ago - it was actually last September - the older I get the faster the time flies by.

My geezer thoughts for the day?

If you 'think' you want to do something? Stop thinking and do it while you still can. Same goes for telling your loved ones that you love them. After they're gone it's too late.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

And after your're gone, it's definitely too late.
Retired from flying.