Flight review

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

TimTaylor

Re: Flight review

Post by TimTaylor »

Or Loran.
Retired from flying.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

Wasn't sure, Shawn.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

ShawnM wrote:
CharlieTango wrote:DME = Distance Measuring Equipment, a feature of most VORs
Thanks Charlie Tango but it was a rhetorical question, just like "what's an ADF?" :mrgreen:

My point was it's old technology that's being replaced.
Actually, VORs are here to stay -- just in reduced numbers. VOR MON is the FAA program to phase out approximately 1/3 of the current VORs by 2025. The remaining VOR's will stay in place as a backup to GPS and ensure navigation coverage above 5K feet, instrument approach backup assured within 100nm of any given point and Victor airway support in the mountain west (and a few other usages that elude my memory). True, very few folks flying low and slow in VFR conditions use them today and in the future but if your flying IFR with a GPS outage, it's a good thing to have a backup.
dave
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

dstclair wrote:
ShawnM wrote:
CharlieTango wrote:DME = Distance Measuring Equipment, a feature of most VORs
Thanks Charlie Tango but it was a rhetorical question, just like "what's an ADF?" :mrgreen:

My point was it's old technology that's being replaced.
Actually, VORs are here to stay -- just in reduced numbers. VOR MON is the FAA program to phase out approximately 1/3 of the current VORs by 2025. The remaining VOR's will stay in place as a backup to GPS and ensure navigation coverage above 5K feet, instrument approach backup assured within 100nm of any given point and Victor airway support in the mountain west (and a few other usages that elude my memory). True, very few folks flying low and slow in VFR conditions use them today and in the future but if your flying IFR with a GPS outage, it's a good thing to have a backup.
Very good point.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator