Looking for a CFI - not that easy

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

TimTaylor

Re: Looking for a CFI - not that easy

Post by TimTaylor »

Half Fast wrote:Don't underestimate the time you will need in an LSA if you start in something like a 150 or a 172. LSAs are trickier to land in windy conditions, especially gusting crosswinds, and it may take you a while to adjust.
I agree. I would try to do it all, including the flight test, in the same make and model LSA aircraft.
Retired from flying.
Type47

Post by Type47 »

I started training in a 172, Cirrus sr22, then a Flight Design, then a Tecnam Bravo, then P92 Echo. 172 again, Jabiru 170, and finished training in a Tecnam 2004 Bravo.
Every time I switched planes there was hours of de-programming me from the last airplane.
I love that I have experience in the different airplanes.
But it took me 53 hours to get my cert.
I think I would have taken fewer hours if I had been in the same plane the whole time.
I also think I am a better pilot because I trained in so many different planes with so many different instructors.
Type47
LSRI
INTJ
2006 Tecnam P92 Echo Super
Don’t do the thing that almost killed you until you at least get the staples taken out of your head first….
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Delete.
Last edited by TimTaylor on Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired from flying.
WDD

Post by WDD »

TimTaylor wrote:
Half Fast wrote:Don't underestimate the time you will need in an LSA if you start in something like a 150 or a 172. LSAs are trickier to land in windy conditions, especially gusting crosswinds, and it may take you a while to adjust.
I agree. I would try to do it all, including the flight test, in the same make and model LSA aircraft.
OK ... but the point of the thread is the difficulty in finding a CFI that teaches Light Sport around here They all do Private - they all have Cessnas, no LSA's.

Hence I'll have to think and plan this through carefully. Do most of the training here in a Cessna 172, then sprint it home at someplace like US Sport. I will be aware of and anticipate a learning curve to adjust to their LSA's (Sport Cruisers I think).
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

WDD wrote:So, just passed my written with a 95%. Having trouble finding a CFI in the area who will teach flying, however. I might have found one CFI who would at least consider it. Not really encouraging here. The EAA CFI directory has no one in the area.

What about the US Sport Pilot Academy in Addison TX? https://www.ussportflightacademy.com/ I could take 2 weeks vacation and pack it in all at once. I see EAA also has a 3 week program.

Thoughts?
I thought the point of this thread was to get our thoughts. Sorry, I won't give you any more of mine.
Retired from flying.
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

I think your best bet is to ditch that Kentucky cold and head down here to central Florida for a couple of months. You'll have lots more options here.

First Landings specializes in SP training, has several Tecnams, multiple instructors, and two locations (Apopka and Plant City). Down in Sebring is Lockwood Aviation, offering SP training in a Tecnam. Over in Lakeland is Wild Air Aviation for when you're ready for a taildragger; they have an Aeronca Champ, as well as a Breezer LSA. Nearby in Winter Haven is Jack Brown's Seaplane Base, with a Cub on floats when you want to add on a seaplane endorsement. And if you decide you like LSA seaplanes, the Searey factory is in nearby Tavares.

Not to mention that the U.S. Sport Aviation Expo is in Sebring the last weekend of January. Stick around until April and you can also take in Sun-N-Fun in Lakeland.

All that within a 50 mile radius.

So why are you wasting time in Kentucky when there's so much SP opportunity in Florida?
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

....then sprint it home at someplace like US Sport.
BEWARE - that "sprint" might turn out to be the last leg (or two) of a marathon.
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Don't forget that you also need instruction in short and soft field take offs and landings along with your instrument training before solo cross country.
WDD

Post by WDD »

Half Fast wrote:I think your best bet is to ditch that Kentucky cold and head down here to central Florida for a couple of months. You'll have lots more options here.
So why are you wasting time in Kentucky when there's so much SP opportunity in Florida?
I like your thinking! Not sure work would let me take a few months off, however. :lol:

But seriously, I've picked up a ton of good advice and information just from this thread. So much better than trying to learn via trial and error.
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

Where are your priorities, man? The only purpose of a job is to pay for aviation, so if the job gets in the way of flying what's the point in keeping it? :mrgreen:

Can you manage a sabbatical? 12 weeks or so?
1/2
----------------
WDD

Post by WDD »

Half Fast wrote: Can you manage a sabbatical? 12 weeks or so?
Sure - it's called quitting! :mrgreen:

Wife who wants to live in a house, remaining kids in college want to graduate, and a cat or two that wants to be constantly fed might disagree with that decision.
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

LOL!

Yeah, I started training when my son was in his final semester. Mortgage is gone, kids are grown, and last year the dog died. Life is now much simpler. Work is still hectic, but I can deal with that.
1/2
----------------
WDD

Post by WDD »

Half Fast wrote:LOL!

Yeah, I started training when my son was in his final semester. Mortgage is gone, kids are grown, and last year the dog died. Life is now much simpler. Work is still hectic, but I can deal with that.
Sounds somewhat similar to my life. Son is out of college and on his own, daughter #1 is in final year, and daughter #2 is out of house as a college freshman. Time to shift gears. Not a mid life crisis, but an empty nesting shift maybe?

Anyway, just found a CFI in Louisville who is willing to teach. It will be in a Cessna 172, so I get a good start and cover most things (not solo or cross country in the Cessna of course).

Spoke with Nathan at US Sport. He said someone like me with 0 time in the cockpit really needs 3 weeks continuous training (not the 2 weeks advertised on their ads). Why they have those ads is another issue.

But I can't really see taking 3 weeks vacation at one shot - work too complicated for that. But I think I could swing 2.

So.... looks like I'm probably going to get a start on training locally (get 15-20 hours or so to get a foundation), and then do 2 weeks at US Sport to finish. They also have the FAA examiner available for the check ride after the training, and flying with them will also provide training to get their endorsement for B, C, D airspace. Thus I should be able to walk away with the license and B, C, D endorsement.

BTW - sorry about the dog.
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

The 2 week advertising probably assumes a youngster. Several people told me that once you're past your mid 30s the required hours will be close to your age. Roughly 40 hours for a 40 year old, 50 hours for a 50 year old,... Personal experience says that's a reasonable rough guess, barring other factors such as training gaps, CFI changes, aircraft changes, etc.

Good luck with your plan. If you're a natural and wx allows you could get it done.
1/2
----------------
hook_dupin

Post by hook_dupin »

drseti wrote:Yes, unfortunately that's true. Several years ago, an ad-hoc coalition of fairly well known flight instructors (including me, Helen Woods, Rod Machado, and Paul Hamilton) petitioned the FAA on that very issue. We argued (convincingly, I thought) that in those areas of operation in which the Practical Test Standards and Airman Certification Standards are identical, it shouldn't matter whether the instruction was provided by a Part 61 Subpart H or a Part 61 Subpart K instructor. Sadly, our recommendation never made it to the NPRM stage.

One if the many reasons why Sport Pilot is still the best kept secret in aviation.

There’s a NPRM out that proposes to partially do this. The proposal is to credit 10 hours of training by a CFIS to Private Pilot.

Also, the discussion mentions your effort.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documen ... -and-other