Tail-wheel endorsement: good resources?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

eulereit

Tail-wheel endorsement: good resources?

Post by eulereit »

I'm going for a tailwheel endorsement. I'm having issues because my three-wheel landings tend to be "squirmy" upon initial touchdown. I think the issue is that I haven't figured out how to determine when the aircraft is exactly aligned with the runway. Things look straight to me, until touchdown when I'm proven wrong.

I was flying a tandem aircraft, so I can't blame things on side-by-side viewing angles.

I don't suppose anyone has any advise for me, or perhaps a good book recommendation?

Thanks!
TimTaylor

Re: Tail-wheel endorsement: good resources?

Post by TimTaylor »

I would say, don't get fixated on one sight point. Shift your vision from side to side and straight ahead as you make your landing.
Retired from flying.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

eulereit wrote:I'm going for a tailwheel endorsement. I'm having issues because my three-wheel landings tend to be "squirmy" upon initial touchdown. I think the issue is that I haven't figured out how to determine when the aircraft is exactly aligned with the runway. Things look straight to me, until touchdown when I'm proven wrong.

I was flying a tandem aircraft, so I can't blame things on side-by-side viewing angles.

I don't suppose anyone has any advise for me, or perhaps a good book recommendation?

Thanks!
What kind of airplane?
eulereit

Post by eulereit »

What kind of airplane?
Cub and Super Decathlon
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I find the least “dramatic” 3-pointers occur when you get the stick all the way back just as touchdown occurs. This will often result in the tailwheel rolling on slightly first, with the mains dropping a few inches a moment thereafter. It pretty much guarantees the wing is done flying, and results in less “squirreliness” right after touching down. And, of course, with the stick held back throughout the landing roll*.

I would have my students “feel” for the runway with the tailwheel, and then the mains would pretty much take care of themselves. Of course, being straight helps, and that just takes practice.

*I found students had a strong tendency to relax back pressure right after landing. If I saw that happening, sometimes I would have them reach over with their left hands to “help” their right hand hold the stick back.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]