Average

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

TimTaylor

Re: Average

Post by TimTaylor »

Use your checklist for each phase of flight.
Retired from flying.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Yeah, every instructor is different.

My instructor was all about power off landings - to the point that I actually feel somewhat dirty now when I have to use power anytime past abeam the numbers... especially if it has nothing to do with gusting winds and is just me misjudging my glide slope :D

Here is a s imilar pattern check-list as in your post except pasted over the actual video of me flying one at KARR ( Aurora ) in Remos GX.
https://youtu.be/tQ2n2CDPtNM
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
drseti

Post by drseti »

Warmi wrote:My instructor was all about power off landings
Gee, I really like your instructor! :)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
sportflugzeug

Post by sportflugzeug »

warmi,
I watched your video. You’re landing was spot on; centerline, smooth, and not hard. I guess I can appreciate a good landing now that I practice them and see how hard they are. I find a hard landing ruins my entire pattern; the complete good pattern consists of a good landing too.

You went from full throttle on departure to 4000RPM on Crosswind. I have on my notes to lower to 4000RPM immediately after I make the downwind turn. I will flag that particular note and ask my CFI if it is correct or not.

Great video; good music.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

sportflugzeug wrote:warmi,
I watched your video. You’re landing was spot on; centerline, smooth, and not hard. I guess I can appreciate a good landing now that I practice them and see how hard they are. I find a hard landing ruins my entire pattern; the complete good pattern consists of a good landing too.

You went from full throttle on departure to 4000RPM on Crosswind. I have on my notes to lower to 4000RPM immediately after I make the downwind turn. I will flag that particular note and ask my CFI if it is correct or not.

Great video; good music.
Well I didn’t mean to imply he was wrong or anything like that ... as I mentioned, all instructors are different and follow different styles - it was just an example of how I was instructed so follow whatever your instructor is teaching you - he knows what he is doing.
sportflugzeug

Post by sportflugzeug »

I just watched your cross country flight. You landed at Morris Municipal where I fly. :D
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Btw .. that was runway 27 at Aurora, which is about 6500 feet, 1500 feet longer than the one you are flying at Morris. Since we were not supposed to turn crosswind until we were past the runway ( or unless asked by the tower ) , we tended to reach pattern altitude before turning crosswind but that was specific to that airport.
At my airport (c56) which is more like Morris , I generally reach pattern altitude when I turn downwind , just like you wrote in your post.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

sportflugzeug wrote:I just watched your cross country flight. You landed at Morris Municipal where I fly. :D
Yeah, Aurora is very close to Morris.
When it was too busy at Aurora , we used to fly to Morris to do some pattern work ... :D fun times.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

One thing that worked for me was 3x5 flash cards for each maneuver. I would have my students make them and use them.

A typical generic one:

TAKEOFF/DEPARTURE STALL

ENTRY

1) Clearing Turns

2) Carb Heat - ON

3) Throttle - 1,500 rpm

4) Altitude - MAINTAIN (trim as necessary)

5) at 65 kts, Carb Heat - OFF, FULL POWER

6) Pitch - MAINTAIN UNTIL STALL (Either Full or Imminent)

RECOVERY...

And so on. Eventually I’d expect the student to memorize these, but the flash cards are a good way to start.

Maybe make some up from memory and run them past your instructor.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
sportflugzeug

Post by sportflugzeug »

I never thought about flash cards.
sportflugzeug

Post by sportflugzeug »

No flight until Thursday. I guess this would be a good time to hit the books!
dogugotw

Post by dogugotw »

For me it's been a function of weather and DPE availability. I have now been in training for over a year and I'm right at 100 hours. I had my first checkride scheduled last Sept but freaked out and cancelled because I didn't feel ready. My DPE's schedule runs 4-8 weeks out. Every subsequent attempt (4 after Sept) has been cancelled due to weather.
Stats: I'm 64, try and fly 2 times per week, more often around each scheduled checkride. Around Jan I was a bit over 60 hour and was ready for the checkride.
If this keeps up, I may save money and move up to PPL...plane is more but DPE's are more available...
drseti

Post by drseti »

dogugotw wrote:My DPE's schedule runs 4-8 weeks out.
Sadly, you're not alone - that's a problem throughout the LSA industry, and what motivated me to become a DPE. (See my thread on the subject.)

You didn't say where you're located, but if you're within range of Central PA, I can probably schedule you in within a week or two.

Meanwhile, my new DPE website at http://SportPilotExaminer.US might be of interest to you.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US