Average

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

sportflugzeug

Average

Post by sportflugzeug »

I am 40 years old, fly twice a week, passed the written, and study one to two hours a night. What is the average time to get the SP cert?
drseti

Re: Average

Post by drseti »

A good rule of thumb is that your required flight hours will be highly correlated with your age, in years. (Let's face it: the older we are, the longer it takes us to acquire new skills.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
sportflugzeug

Post by sportflugzeug »

Ok thanks.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Just remember, learning to fly is flying. Enjoy it.
Retired from flying.
sportflugzeug

Post by sportflugzeug »

Good point.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Besides, what really matters, hours (or lack thereof) on the logbook, or skill with the stick?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

drseti wrote:A good rule of thumb is that your required flight hours will be highly correlated with your age, in years. (Let's face it: the older we are, the longer it takes us to acquire new skills.)
Yup. What he said. Schools that offer SPL say 25 hours. Count on a few more. Enjoy the ride!
sportflugzeug

Post by sportflugzeug »

I am 4 hours in so far and have a training this Saturday. It is amazing how well things are going. My CFI is allowing me to touch and go, power on power off stalls, patterns, and steep turns. Then I study the FAR/AIM, Maneuvers, and Pilot Handbook 4 to 6 hours a week.

It’s all coming together.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Keep up the good work, and I'm sure you'll be an ace within the next 100 flight hours. :)
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
sportflugzeug

Post by sportflugzeug »

I hope so,

The Power On Stall without right rudder is not my favorite maneuver... :shock:
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

sportflugzeug wrote:I hope so,

The Power On Stall without right rudder is not my favorite maneuver... :shock:
Keep the ball centered. "Step on the ball." :)
Retired from flying.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:A good rule of thumb is that your required flight hours will be highly correlated with your age, in years. (Let's face it: the older we are, the longer it takes us to acquire new skills.)
I think the airplane you are flying has an impact on how many hours it will take as well. I think I could take someone through sport pilot in a Cub or Taylorcraft in less time compared to a more modern LSA.
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote:I think I could take someone through sport pilot in a Cub or Taylorcraft in less time compared to a more modern LSA.
Probably so. (Don't forget my favorite of that era, the 7AC Champ!)
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:I think I could take someone through sport pilot in a Cub or Taylorcraft in less time compared to a more modern LSA.
Probably so. (Don't forget my favorite of that era, the 7AC Champ!)
Or even a Luscombe.
sportflugzeug

Post by sportflugzeug »

I am confused about the power on power off stalls.

The power OFF is landing Stall. So I configure the plane; fuel pump on, 30 -50 flaps, carb heat on, mags on both, lift nose up until buffet, I DO NOT KNOW RPM, alleviate stick pressure, use rudders if necessary, stay OFF ailerons, nose goes down, full throttle, 50-30 flaps then 30-15 flaps the. 0 flaps. Flying forward full throttle increased airspeed out of Stall.

The power ON stall is departing stall. 15 flaps, fuel pump on, mags on both, carb heat in (OFF), wait until in white arc, I DO NOT KNOW THE RPM, lift nose wait until buffet, stall, and then after that I’m lost...

The above information is what I think I know. I could have many things wrong.

Can anyone help me? Thanks.
Last edited by sportflugzeug on Thu May 03, 2018 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.