Headset

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

sportflugzeug

Headset

Post by sportflugzeug »

I am a student pilot looking to purchase a used headset. If possible, I’d like two of the same model; one for me and my girlfriend. Also, if you have an extra knee board laying around that you don’t use that would be helpful.

My CFI said I need to start bringing one to my training from now on.

As a student, I do not need anything fancy or expensive, as I will update when the time comes.

If anyone can here can assist me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
Warmi

Re: Headset

Post by Warmi »

This is a good quality, very attractively priced , non-ANR headset ... I use it as a backup/passenger headset and I know others use it as well.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/a ... eadset.php
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
sportflugzeug

Post by sportflugzeug »

Those are nice. Are they durable enough to wear throughout my training and more? What is non-ANR?
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

I have 2 of these and have been satisfied with how they work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A6 ... UTF8&psc=1
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

sportflugzeug wrote:Those are nice. Are they durable enough to wear throughout my training and more? What is non-ANR?
ANR is Active Noise Reduction which basically means electronics in the headset cancel out engine background noise; it helps reduce fatigue and hearing loss. ANR headsets are generally much more expensive than non-ANR headsets.

Non-ANR headsets are passive (no electronic noise canceling) and depend on the headset's ear seals to reduce engine background noise.

For training purposes non-ANR headsets with 20-25 dB passive noise reduction will work fine (the MGL headset from Aircraft Spruce has 27 dB passive noise reduction, which is quite good). Later on you can evaluate different ANR models and invest in them if you want.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Headsets are a very personal choice item. What works well for one might cause issues for another. I would recommend you buy something inexpensive for your training, and the use it as a passenger headset after you are finished. When you get a chance go to an avionics shop or a major airshow like Oshkosh and try on different headsets. Buy the quietest most comfortable headset you can afford. The most expensive headset is not always an individuals best choice.

For me I have been flying since the late 70's. I had a top of the line David Clark from back then. As I got older it got so uncomfortable to wear that it gave me headaches. Back in 2006 I went looking for headsets and tried Bose X, first gen Light Speed Zulus, and wound up with a David Clark X11. The fit me best for comfort, and the noise cancelling was pretty good. They weren't the most expensive or quietest, but they suited me the best.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

I have LightSpeed Sierra as my main headset and MGL as the backup set.

Sierra headsets are mid-upper level model with ANR and cost about $600.
The MGL ones are non-ANR and cost about $150 or ...

The Sierra headset is nicer and quieter but not 4 times , as the price suggest - in the end it is a personal choice and as you approach top level headsets (Bose , Zulu - $1000) the law of diminishing returns starts to kick in ...
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Like I said a personal choice. Back in 2006 I was flying some days 6-8 hours during the day. It didn't happen every day, but maybe a couple times a week that summer. After the first hour I was in pain from the headset pushing against a nerve on my cheek bone. For me comfort was the driving factor, and I would have paid anything within reason. The headset I have now I can wear all day long without any issues.
smutny

Post by smutny »

Craigslist now has an aviation section and you should be able to find some good deals there.
John Smutny
LSRM - A/WS/PPC/Glider
iRMT
Normandy Aircraft @ S50
WDD

Post by WDD »

3Dreaming wrote:Headsets are a very personal choice item. What works well for one might cause issues for another. I would recommend you buy something inexpensive for your training, and the use it as a passenger headset after you are finished. When you get a chance go to an avionics shop or a major airshow like Oshkosh and try on different headsets. Buy the quietest most comfortable headset you can afford. The most expensive headset is not always an individuals best choice.
Great advice there. I too am a student. I bought a used set of David Clark basic model 10. When I finish up training I'll treat myself to another headset and use the David Clark set for passenger. By the time I finish up I'll know a lot more about what works for me, what the best headset is. I'm finding out I value noise reduction most of all, light weight next. I'm thinking Clarity Aloft might be the ticket, as it has higher noise reduction than even the expensive Boise ANR. But still time to figure it out.

So yes, 1) get a used, affordable, rugged headset from E Bay or something like that, and 2) figure out after training what really works for you, and then get it. Use the first set as the backup - passenger set.

BTW - cool that you're thinking of the GF at this time, but it will be a bit before she can ride with you, so don't worry about it now. AND... as GF and wives go, let HER pick out the headset. AND........ no, don't make it a Valentine's Day or Anniversary present..... :mrgreen:
drseti

Post by drseti »

I counsel my primary students not to use an ANR headset for training. I want them to learn to observe and interpret engine sound and wind noise, and AMT makes them virtually deaf to their environment.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Maybe there is something off with my LightSpeed Sierra but I can still hear my engine and external sounds pretty well, even with ANR on.
Frankly sometimes I wish it was quieter ...
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

I have 2 pair of the Zulu 3 headsets and love them. I actually bought them 3 and 4 years ago as a Zulu 2. Amazing headsets. I just recently had them both upgraded to the Zulu 3, (I got a great 2 for 1 upgrade deal from Lightspeed) they are now even more amazing headsets but as many know they are not cheap. I'd suggest trying several types at one of the shows and pick one you like. My advice would be to buy the pair that you like the best, regardless of cost. I wouldn't buy a cheap set now only to have to buy another pair later because you want to upgrade. You'll never get your money back on the first pair. I bought one pair new and the second pair off Craigslist from a wanna be pilot who decided flying wasn't for him. They were practically brand new.

I got this same advice when I was shopping for a road bike for cycling. I almost bought a really nice aluminum bike with many bells and whistles. A woman I ride with told me "spend a little more now on a full carbon fiber bike and you'll be very happy later". She was right. I spent more money up front but got a bike that will last me a very long time without the need to upgrade.