Why we use checklists.....

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

HAPPYDAN

Re: Why we use checklists.....

Post by HAPPYDAN »

This brings to mind a similar incident I witnessed about 3-4 years ago. Holding short of RW 17 at KTIW, waiting for landing traffic. A DeHaviland DH-2 Beaver, on floats, descending to land. The floats were equipped with wheels, but I could see they were still in the "up" position! I commented to the CFI, he said "Oh S---!" and just as he was going to key the mike, the pilot of the DH-2 (presumably) announced "Tower, we're goin' around". Lucky catch.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I had a similar experience at KPDK years ago. I was holding short for a landing Bonanza on short final. Just as he crossed the threshold, I looked up and noticed his gear was up. Before I could say anything, he touched down on the belly.
Retired from flying.
jarinawoz

Post by jarinawoz »

I have seen also something like this, luckily they were landing on the grass.... nobody got hurt... and the pilot was very expreienced, i'd say couple of thousand hours on many types. can happen :(