New Pilot Improvement Plan

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

FlyAgain

New Pilot Improvement Plan

Post by FlyAgain »

I’m getting close to completing my flight review in LSA after getting my PPL 30 years ago. I suspect I will have right at 100 hours total time and my recent transition willl have taken about 15 hours in LSA to become a full up round once again.

I look at this as a license to learn. Goal is to buy an LSA unfortunately hanger space where I live is a showstopper for owner entry into aviation.

I was wondering about some ideas for a semi-structured plan to become a better pilot as time goes on? I have some ideas and my instructor will no doubt have some too but wanted to throw it out here as well.

I’m going to continue to focus on takeoffs and landings and get some more dual for crosswinds, I’m going to do a couple cross countries each month and gradually expand the distance.

Thanks
TimTaylor

Re: New Pilot Improvement Plan

Post by TimTaylor »

A 100 hour Private Pilot with 15 recent hours in LSA, I'm thinking you just need to go fly. If you've been inactive for a long time, make sure you're up to speed with the current FAR's and airspace, etc. If you're rusty flying in and out of class B and/or class C, maybe a dual flight might be a good idea. Otherwise, go have some fun and welcome back.
Retired from flying.
Otto

Re: New Pilot Improvement Plan

Post by Otto »

Probably just need to fly. Some parts of aviation have fallen into this dual everything idea. Excessive dual is a bad idea, people know how to fly and there is a point where with an instructor on board they stop learning and growing. Yes I know there is the overconfident, reckless, fellow on the other side, but those guys are a lot rarer than pilots that just need to build experience by themselves. Besides the reckless ones aren't likely to be saved by more dual anyway. Go fly and have fun, don't be afraid to ask real world or online for advice but fly yourself.