Training in Massachusetts/New Hampshire

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

ajh60

Training in Massachusetts/New Hampshire

Post by ajh60 »

HI-
Do any of you know if there is LSA training in Ma or NH. The two closet BED in mass or ASH in nh have none that I am aware of. Any help would be appreciated......thanks
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Welcome to SPT. Are you looking for Light Sport Aircraft training? or are you looking for Sport Pilot training? Two different critters!

Here's a link to the EAA's list of Sport Pilot instructors, and the planes they use, in Massachusetts. Note that *any* Certified Flight Instructor anywhere can teach you to be a sport pilot. But once you become a sport pilot, you can only fly Light Sport Aircraft.

http://www.sportpilot.org/instructors/m ... tts_1.html

Fly safe.
Tom
ajh60

Post by ajh60 »

well now let me show my ignorance. I thought in order to fly a LSA (light sport aircraft) you trained and got your sport pilot license. If that is orrect i fail to see the difference, if not what is the difference. To fly light Sport Aircraft what license must I obtain. (iam speaking fixed wing aicraft)
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

ajh60: well now let me show my ignorance. I thought in order to fly a LSA (light sport aircraft) you trained and got your sport pilot license. If that is orrect i fail to see the difference, if not what is the difference. To fly light Sport Aircraft what license must I obtain. (iam speaking fixed wing aicraft)

You're right. You can fly a LSA if you get your sport license. But you can only fly a LSA; in general, you can't fly planes over 1320 lbs max takeoff weight. If you get a full private pilot license (PPL) or recreational pilot license, you can also fly a LSA.

You were asking us where to get LSA training, not Sport Pilot training. Two different things. LSA training means learning to fly a Light Sport Aircraft, regardless of what certification you want (sport, recreational, full private, etc.). You can get LSA training from just about any FBO (or CFI) which uses an LSA. LSA training isn't only for sport pilots; even certified PPL pilots can get LSA instruction. LSA training means training in a Light Sport Aircraft. That's not just for Sport Pilots.

Suggestion: contact an area EAA chapter. They can fill you in on the differences between Light Sport Aircraft and Sport Pilot instruction. A good start is the EAA Sport Pilot website: http://www.sportpilot.org/

Just to keep things interesting ... you can take almost all your sport pilot instruction in *any* small airplane, not just an LSA. But you can only fly solo (without an instructor next to you) in a true LSA. Rental LSA are not easy to find for instruction - trust me on that. If there's one near you, great. Otherwise, you'd probably end up having to buy your own LSA.

Don't get hung up on the technicalities this early in the game. If you have no flying experience, just go to a local FBO (Fixed Base Operator - they usually "sponsor" the training arrangements) at a Mass. airport and ask about Sport Pilot training. Then share what you learn with us and we'll guide you on the way.

Tom
CESantos

Post by CESantos »

AJH60, how's your quest going? It seems like the only training in the area USED to be at Northeast Light Sport Aircraft at 7B3 at Hampton Field in North Hampton, NH. They were training in SportCruisers but their web site no longer offers training and their two SportCruisers are up for sale.

The closest now are either up at SFM in Sanford, ME, at Southern Maine Aviation where they're using the A22 Valor and the Gobosh G700 or over in Western Mass at 7B2, Northampton Airport, where they're training in Flight Design CTSWs.

I've been looking also but I'm afraid there's nothing closer.
ajh60

Post by ajh60 »

hi-
It really isnt going at all. I have been kind of busy which is good, but looks like I am just going to start my private pilot training and see where that goes. I am not thrilled with some of the school in my area though
CESantos

Post by CESantos »

I see that Sport Pilot training is newly being offered at New England Flight Services in Danielson, Conn. They're flying the Flight Design CTLS. I don't know where you are in Mass but that airfield would be about 1 - 1-1/4 hours from the intersection of Rts 495 and 2.