New FAA Sport Pilot LSA rules for 2010

On September 1, 2004 the FAA inaugurated a new pilot certificate dubbed the "sport pilot" that makes learning to fly easier and more affordable that ever. Intended primarily for recreational use, you can now become a pilot with as little as 20 hours of flight instruction! In addition, the FAA also created a new category of affordable "light-sport aircraft"!

Moderator: drseti

Paul Hamilton

New FAA Sport Pilot LSA rules for 2010

Post by Paul Hamilton »

Since this is big news I am posting this announcement here. See FAA rules topic "FAR's" here or www.beasportpilot.com Ask the Expert for details.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
lledsmar

Post by lledsmar »

I thought this is what my certificate said but my CFI told me it was 24mo because I'm over 40 but I actually have a student sport certificate. Glad I signed up for this site as I have been studying for my checkride.
lledsmar
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

lledsmar wrote:I thought this is what my certificate said but my CFI told me it was 24mo because I'm over 40 but I actually have a student sport certificate. Glad I signed up for this site as I have been studying for my checkride.
Yes the "student sport pilot certificate" now expires 60 calender months after issue per 61.19
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
Alan Smoak

Re: New FAA Sport Pilot LSA rules for 2010

Post by Alan Smoak »

What is the time frame for a private pilot that has stop getting a medical and flying in the sport pilot cat? Is there a calender month or year ?
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Alan Smoak wrote:What is the time frame for a private pilot that has stop getting a medical and flying in the sport pilot cat? Is there a calender month or year ?
If I understand you, no - there's no time limit.

You could not get a medical and then, many years later, start flying again under Light Sport restrictions. You would, of course, need to get a BFR.

Is that what you were asking?
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

Alan, any Private Pilot or above can let his or her medical lapse at any time, and begin exercising Sport Pilot privileges immediately (flying only a Sport Pilot Eligible aircraft, day VFR only, 10,000 feet and below, for personal transportation or recreational use only, with no business purpose to the flight), without doing anything extra or filing any paperwork with the FAA. As Eddie said, like all pilots you will need to have had a Flight Review within the previous 24 calendar months. LSA privileges only apply if you have not had your most recent medical certificate denied, revoked, or rescinded. You are still a Private Pilot (or Commercial, or ATP, as the case may be), choosing to exercise Sport Pilot privileges with a lapsed medical.

That said, if you haven't flown a particular LSA before, it's always a good idea to get a thorough checkout in it when making the transition. Some insurance companies even require it. For a typical LSA Transition curriculum, see:

http://avsport.org/about/downsize.htm
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US