Anybody out there a long distance flyer over foreign lands?

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

FLwriter

Anybody out there a long distance flyer over foreign lands?

Post by FLwriter »

Hi, I a writer new to the site and wondering if anybody out there has done some long distance travel to countries like Central or South America?
Best, Bob
Bob Guignon
Clearwater, FL
Moe

Post by Moe »

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, Bob, but neither the Sport Pilot certificate nor the Light Sport Aircraft airworthiness certificate meet International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) requirements for international flights. As I understand it, each trip requires a case-by-case approval from the other government's agency for aviation.
Moe
FLwriter

international flights

Post by FLwriter »

Thanks Moe for filling me in on the requirements for international flights.
Bob
Bob Guignon
Clearwater, FL
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

bob,

SLSA are currently permitted in the bahamas
Moe

Post by Moe »

I have seen the letter blanket-authorizing Experimental/Amateur-Built aircraft in the Bahamas, but forgot to bookmark it.

Do you have a link to that for S-LSA? What about E-LSA?

I also assume these must be flown by a Private Pilot?
Moe
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

i don't have a link

i believe sport pilot is permissible in the bahamas.

the expectation is for international LSA and sport pilot to become generally permissible after the various regs standardize
Moe

Post by Moe »

Here's the Experimental/Amateur-Built authorization I assume is still in effect.

I agree that due to the importance of tourism, the Bahamas will probably allow LSA and/or SP without individual authorization long before Canada or Mexico will. I've just not seen anything official regarding it and wouldn't make the case it's allowed without such.
Moe
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

12. Crew members shall be the holders of valid pilot licenses issued or endorsed by the State
and which are appropriate to their duties;

item 12 seems to permit a sport pilot certificate.

a friend has recently returned from the bahamas in his SLSA. he said it was easy and he was quite welcome. he did not have a ppl at that time. come to think of it his passenger is a ppl so maybe they relied on the passenger to be pic?

i have heard of LSA being flown in mexico but they were trailored accross the border. i assume these mostly sport pilots.

seems canadian micro lights are welcome here. the europeans cross borders frequently and the uk and eu standards differ.

it is currently messy and confusing