howdy all

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

Docwatson

howdy all

Post by Docwatson »

Well I finally finished my LSA training. I did my check ride with Mr. Jeffrey Mountain on Monday the 8th of September. I GOT MY TICKET! Now a darned ole hurricane comes thru and I can't fly again until NEXT weekend. Took me a few more hours than most I think. I finished with right at 43 hours. But hey, I got it. Landings were a bit of an issue with me in the beginning.

Anyway, I'm here in the Dallas area. Have to go do a check out in a Remos in a week or two so I can rent it. Can't afford a purchase just yet. Maybe in the next couple of years. Who knows.

Thanks,

Bill
________
Buy roor bongs
Last edited by Docwatson on Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Bill - that is GREAT!

Congrats on getting your ticket, Mr. PIC! Don't worry about the # of hours it took; man, if you can afford it, it's definitely worth it! There are plenty of full PPL pilots who took close to a 100 hours, believe me.

Did you get any extra endorsements? (controlled airspace, etc.)

Where are you going to rent that Remos? I've found rental LSA rare as hen's teeth, except for during training.

Tom
Docwatson

Post by Docwatson »

CTflyer wrote:Bill - that is GREAT!

Congrats on getting your ticket, Mr. PIC! Don't worry about the # of hours it took; man, if you can afford it, it's definitely worth it! There are plenty of full PPL pilots who took close to a 100 hours, believe me.

Did you get any extra endorsements? (controlled airspace, etc.)

Where are you going to rent that Remos? I've found rental LSA rare as hen's teeth, except for during training.

Tom
Thank you very much. I didn't get any airspace endorsements at this time. I will probably get a class D in a couple of weeks. I'd also like to get a tailwheel. The Remos is in Denton Texas www.usflightacademy.com , I can also rent my instructors Ercoupe 415-C but not for more than a day flight. There are a couple of planes in Roanoke as well. US flight academy also has two more on order.
________
Herbal Vaporizers
Last edited by Docwatson on Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glyn

Post by glyn »

Congrats!!!!!! if you ever get a chance, fly over to ATA (atlanta TX) we eat lunch every sunday after church. alot of people fly in to just talk about airplanes.

Glyn
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Congratulations! And, as CTFlyer said, never worry about the number of hours. Everyone learns at their own pace and their instructor moves them along at the pace that's right for them. I'm going for a PPL and soloed at 41 hours. Will have 80 hours by the time I take my checkride. I know of one student who took 150 hours to get her PPL.
Someone else may say they soloed at 9 or 10 hours. Fine. But I doubt they've done some of the things I've done, such as a simulated engine out and electrical failure - at night. Spins. Stalls under the hood. Time logged in High Powered, Tailwheel, and Complex aircraft. Time in actual instrument conditions, in case I accidently fly into them for real. These are things I asked to do but are not required. I realize these things are taking hours and money. But I'm progressing at the rate that is right for me.
Another factor is, how frequently a student flies. A student who is able (financially and/or schedulewise) to fly 4 times a week will progress faster than a student who can fly only 2 or 3 times per month.
The point I'm making is, the number of hours doesn't mean much. What matters is whether you can fly or not.