Flying the lower 48

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

jimhazen

Flying the lower 48

Post by jimhazen »

With my landing in Bogalusa, LA (BXA) 9/26/08 I have now logged landings in all the lower 48 states. Since getting my Sport Pilot certificate in Feb 06 I have logged landings at 115 different airports across the US. Right now N44469 and I are doing a little R&R in Dallas before flying home to Arizona
JLH
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Jim - that is awesomely excellent! Bravo!

Something tells me we'd all appreciate seeing some pictures of your flights around the USA. Any photo collection you can link us to?

Question for you: as a sport pilot, you're limited to a MSL of 10,000'. Was that a problem when you were flying out west (Rockies, etc.)?

And where'd you take your sport pilot checkride? You are one lucky guy! What you did is what I've dreamed of for many years. The tiny detail of money kinda got in the way ....

Good to have you here!
Tom
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

Amazing! There are so many details I'd like to know about this. Sounds like a book to me!

I'd particularly interested in know the challenges associated with the sport pilot limitations, no night, no ifr, 10,000ft etc.

Ron
jimhazen

Flying the lower 48

Post by jimhazen »

The only real challenge has been the 10,000' rule and this should be addressed with the new rulw change. As for night flying, after a full day fo flying I'm ready to call it a day. I will sometimes get an early start at civil twilight when doing long cross country legs. I have had some night and IFR training as well as mountain flying. You never know what might happen and it's good to be prepared. I always get a good weather brief and try to get radar service (flight following) when ever possible. The limitations do chafe at times but the alternative is not flying at all. Even with the limitations you can still do a lot of fying as a Sport Pilot.
JLH
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

Have you thought about Canada/Alaska? I know there are some issues with sport pilots flying abroad. I've never seen a word from someone who tried it.

Ron