hello from Doug in the Motor city

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

doogie48084

hello from Doug in the Motor city

Post by doogie48084 »

I am located 3 miles from the Detroit Metroploitan Airport.
I got my first taste of flying at 9 years old when a friend of the family took my brother and I up in his Cessna.
I flew with for a few years.
I nevr took flying lessons before but am wondering if it is too late. I am going to be 60 this year and want feedback from the rest of you.
you learn from your mistakes
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

it's only too late if you need 45 years of flying to make it worth while
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

Too late? - hope not. I'm 53 and should be soloing soon - and I'm building a plane in my garage. I suggest you look carefully at what's available in sport aviation. If you feel a traditional flight training program is beyond you at this point in life, check out powered parachutes, ultralights or maybe soaring (tough in Michigan I'd bet).

The point is, if your goal is to get into the air, then it's not that hard. If you want to fly IFR at night across the county, that's a whole different thing.

If you are serious about it, I'd recommend getting in touch with a local EAA chapter. They can point you to instructors and often offer free ground schools. You can find a local chapter at EAA.org.

Good luck,
Ron
EppyGA

Post by EppyGA »

I would definitely jump in. I started in 1970 and got 17 hours in before lack of money to continue stopped me.

This year, at age 57 now, I started back with the intent of getting a sport pilot license. Along the way I decided to go ahead and complete a private license and hope to take my check ride in November as I've finished all the requirements and just need some brush up on some items and a little more study time.

Good Luck to you.

Randy
Randy Epstein
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

It is never too late!

I got my private in 1967 and flew cherokees for almost 300 hours. Then, babies and mortgages put a 40 year hold on my flying. Last year, 2007, at age 68 I found an instructor and went through practically the whole private pilot training program. The wife and I are now having a blast flying all over the country in our retirement. I am also looking now at building an aircraft - I think it would be fun and a good learning experience.

Bottom line, you are only as old as you think you are. Myself, I am just a kid and having fun every day.
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

I'd like to add that learning to fly is a good way to get/keep the brain working. Sport pilot ground school isn't hard, but there is some learning and new concepts. If you go on to private pilot, I'd say the ground school for it is more like an entry level college course. Again,not hard, but a fair bit of memorization and maybe some new concepts. Add to that the motor memory and skills needed to manipulate the controls and it's a pretty beneficial thing to do. Just take your time and have fun.

Ron
SkySteve

Post by SkySteve »

It's not too late! I'm 58 and got my ticket last year. I now have over 100 hours and am loving it! In fact, I went for a flight this afternoon. A few touch and go's, a 30 minute cross country to a neighboring airport and finished with a nice soft and short landing. Go for it!
Steve Wilson
Huntsville, UT
Kitfox
Convertible Nose Wheel & Tail Wheel
912A / Warp Drive Prop
flyguy1

Post by flyguy1 »

Greetings Doug,

We're located about 52nm to your southwest. We train in the Flight Design CT and are having a great time! We've got students in all the age groups! Our opinion is that everyone should give it a shot, regardless of age!
James Scheibner
Hillsdale Aero, Inc.