New guy from Kansas/Florida

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

KSCessnaDriver

New guy from Kansas/Florida

Post by KSCessnaDriver »

Hi all. I'm new to the forum here, been lurking for a while, and finally decided to join up. I'm from Kansas, but currently reside in Florida where I go to college. I'm currently a private pilot single engine land & sea, and have recently been introduced to the light sport arena. I've just over 2 hours in a Remos G3-600, and can say, its some of the most fun flying I've done. I'm currently looking at potentially pursuing initially the Light Sport CFI rating, in order to teach, and have fun in these fun planes. Looking forward to learning a bunch.

Thanks,
KSCessnaFlyer
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Hey - welcome to the forum!

Once you've got your Sport Pilot ticket, add up some hours and become a CFI-S (Certified Flight Instructor - Sport). Believe me, you're needed out there! And come to one of the many places around the country that doesn't have any sport pilot training!

Of course, you can become a full PPL, then add hours and Instrument Flight Rules certification, and get certified as an instructor, but if you're only interested in flying LSA (Light Sport Aircraft) under VFR (Visual Flight Regulations) - the SP works fine.

Good to have you with us!
Tom
KSCessnaDriver

Post by KSCessnaDriver »

Forgot to mention the important stuff. It slipped my mind at the time. I'm currently a private pilot, single engine land and sea, almost done with my instrument rating. I'm just shy of 100 hours, and I'm hoping that I can get my CFI-S ticket here this spring.

Thanks for the help,
KSCessnaDriver
tech10002

Post by tech10002 »

If I were you, I'd think about getting a standard CFI rating. You're so close now that you might as well. That way you could instruct in LSAs and standard category aircraft.

I'm jealous that you've gotten to fly the G3. I really want to get some Remos time myself. Those look really nice. I'm having to train in a 172 now since the only flight school within 300 miles that had an LSA now does not because of damage, and it's going to be 6 months plus before they get it back. :cry:
KSCessnaDriver

Post by KSCessnaDriver »

I fully intend to eventually get the full CFI rating. However, at this point, to get it, I have to get the Commercial Single Engine, then the CFI on top of that. Basically, I've got 150 hours to build before I get to the point where I'm able to take the Comm checkride. Rather that just flying around for 150 hours, my plan was to do something useful, for at least part of those hours.

The Remos G3 is a blast to fly. However, I go to school 3 hours from where its at, so, I fly it when I go visit family, which is once in a while. Good news is, I found a place 25 minutes away that has a CTSW, so, I'm going to get the checkout rolling on that (5 hour insurance checkout). I can't wait

KSCessnaDriver
KSCessnaDriver (ATP MEL, Commerical LTA-Airship/SEL, Private SES, CFI/CFII)
LSA's flown: Remos G3, Flight Design CTSW, Aeronca L-16, Jabiru J170
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Welcome to the forum, Joel! And welcome to FL! I'm in the Tampa area. So we'll probably see each other sometime when flying around the state.